checkered displacements problem

apocguy

L2: Junior Member
Jan 10, 2008
I have been having problems with displacements, they have a checker pattern over them. I have run cubemaps so I dunno what that problem could be.

ctf_rocketcity_b30004.jpg

apocguy

Jan 10, 2008
The texture name is nature/blendground_canyon.
I like the effect as well, but I do not want it on this map. Though if this error can be done with a grass texture someone could make a mini golf map or something.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Is it only that blend texture thst does it? also, it might be a lack of cubemaps(maybe) do the checkers stay fixed on the texture or move around when you do (like a cubemap)

apocguy

Jan 10, 2008
Is it only that blend texture thst does it? also, it might be a lack of cubemaps(maybe) do the checkers stay fixed on the texture or move around when you do (like a cubemap)
The checker pattern is in a fixed position. I have built the cubemaps but I guess I will try to add more.

Edit: I think I found the problem but I am not sure how I would fix it.

*** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_hydro_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file sky_hydro_01 to build the default cubemap!

I got that error while building cubemaps.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I know what the checker problem is.

A Texture with a missing normal map will show these checkers

I found this out by accident just amoment ago, I forgot to save my normal map as .vtf

apocguy

Jan 10, 2008
I know what the checker problem is.

A Texture with a missing normal map will show these checkers

I found this out by accident just a moment ago, I forgot to save my normal map as .vtf

Thats odd, why would a valve texture being missing such a file?

Dec 25, 2007
Probably because they didn't end up using it in-game. I had a similar problem with another blend texture. In the end I just made my own .vmt file with the blend I wanted and an appropriate normal map, which solved the problem quite nicely.