1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Checkerboards?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by HQDefault, Dec 20, 2014.

1. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Every once in a while, when I have a texture on a surface, it will have a weird checkerboard pattern on it. What's the cause? How do I fix it? (No, not pink and black. This has nothing to do with missing textures or cubemaps)

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure what it's caused by, although I have glimpsed some people in chat talking about it so someone probably knows, anyway here's a screencap that I have of it (probably?):

[​IMG]

3. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Yes :) That's the one

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Has something to do with the bump map layer, afaik. There's a ground texture that does the same thing.

5. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    K... that's good to know... but how do I get it to stop?
    Or are those textures just doomed to be broken?

6. Shogun

Shogun L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The ground texture Crash is talking about is completely broken, and whenever someone uses it someone else will always tell them it broken and not to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if this texture is broken too.

7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Blend layer, not bump layer.

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    The checkerboard is the source error texture, it is used when the correct texture failed to load, usually because it doesn't exist.

Basically check the material for which textures it uses and verify that those exist.

Also, verify your cache in steam to ensure that no files have gone corrupt.

9. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Ahem...

10. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    It is the same texture, the pinkness just didn't end up visible because of reasons. Probably because the shader only checked one channel.

11. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Yep. Because one channel (green) is all black and the others are black and white. So the thing Egan posted could be a missing normal map, missing ssbump, or missing blendmap. I'm guessing normal map. Are you sure this is a stock texture and one designed for TF2? I can't tell from that screenshot what it's actually supposed to be.

12. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    I replaced it in my vmf already, but it must be one of these from soho, if I recall correctly:

[​IMG]

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I don't even know why those five textures are in Soho anyway; they all look exactly like stock textures that are in the concrete folder.