Checkerboard, not purple but black/white

bamibal

L1: Registered
Aug 14, 2015
After building my cubemaps, on some of these black textures (concretefloor008_reflect) a black and white checkerboard appears. It seems to be random, it doesn't appear on every face having this texture. Every room has it's own cubemap entity so I don't think it's stuff leaking through the walls. Anyone have an idea what may cause this?

mCu8R6j.jpg

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I don't think it's the cubemap. Bad cubemaps have pink checkerboards, that's white.

What I suspect is that it's another texture that's broken. Check the material you are using and see what textures it uses.

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
I get that one some Portal 2 textures.
My guess it's because it uses unsupported shaders in the material.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
I actually like that set up, can someone either make, or link a checkerboard tile texture?

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
I can confirm that this kind of stuff (potentially) has to do with cubemaps, but it's not the cubemaps that are broken. The material itself is having some kind of error. For example, a $detail texture could be missing, which would result having the $basetexture with a checkerboard overlayed. It could also be the a shader applied to a type of face that it's not meant for. Or changing the shader without recompiling.
Right now I don't know how to fix it. Try to clear texturecache after building cubemaps just to make sure that it's actually permanent. If it is, you will have to use a different material or modify the material in some way.

bamibal

Aug 14, 2015
I haven't been able to remove the white squares, so I decided to forget about this one and create my own material. I tried to make this custom material reflective (envmap) but can't figure it out exactly how. If anyone can link me a good tutorial that would be awesome!

bamibal

Aug 14, 2015
While testing my map once again I discovered that ALL reflective textures have the white squares on them. Before building cubemaps:

nI3ogJT.jpg

After:

tBZmMbA.jpg

Just before grabbing a hammer and smashing my pc to bits, something popped into my mind; did I turn mat_bumpmap back on after building cubemaps? Nope, doesn't say so in the tutorial, let's try. And kaboom, all white squares are gone and everything's ok (it says "Redownloading all lightmaps" in console btw). But after restarting tf2 and loading my map again, they are back.

Hope that someone can help me out, it's damn frustrating since my map is finished but now I have to wait releasing it.

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
You could post your vmt here so we can point out what's wrong.

Mar 23, 2013
did I turn mat_bumpmap back on after building cubemaps?

Since when do people turn mat_bumpmap off when building cubemaps?
Aren't you mixing this command up with mat_specular. That's what you want to have disabled while building cubemaps

bamibal

Aug 14, 2015
Leaving mat_bumpmap 0 out of the equation solved my problem. I'll post this in the tutorial topic too.