DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
omg no pics no dl fixit

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I was wondering what happened to this the other day

I don't really like the sniper perches but otherwise this was pretty alright. Interested in where it goes

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Hm, what's up with the sniper ledges exactly? They're kinda designed like 2fort in a ways; still accessible for ambushing and easy to avoid if you want to, but still looking over high traffic areas.

BY (i think it was) said the map was soldier friendly but nobody else is really posting in here. I also dunno how to take that comment since previously the map had issues with heavies and level 3 sentries rather than soldiers. But i can see how the roof only access by mid lends a certain base advantage to that class, but then that spot is also covered by sniper sightlines.

I guess only more testing can tell a better story.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I just think that giving snipers a dedicated perch is stupid since they are going to find some bullshit spot in your map to snipe from anyway. Use the space for something more interesting. Make snipers work for it.

The cave area behind the chapel always seemed a little useless to me. It may be worth tightening up that area so that the cave isn't a dead end and traffic/fighting is a little more fluid and direct back there. Maybe by removing it or just widening the path and getting rid of the outer walls so the cliff just hangs over, I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
The last time I played this, I was demolishing the other team as Sniper, and I'm a horrible Sniper. I only got forced off the perch by rocket-jumping Soldiers.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think it might look better if you embed the bottom of the clock tower model into a stone tower, it looks a little strange being stone, then loose wood before the actual clock face.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I just think that giving snipers a dedicated perch is stupid since they are going to find some bullshit spot in your map to snipe from anyway. Use the space for something more interesting. Make snipers work for it.

I get what you're saying, though these spaces are used more than just for snipers, i've seen engi's use these spots to protect the immediate spawn area from aggressive players when the enemy own the centre of the map. Largely the idea was that people would understand where snipers are likely to be and exactly where to avoid snipers and where to ambush them. The idea wasn't specifically to give them a perch, but that's essentially what a battlements is anyway. Harvest has the sniper windows, 2fort has the balcony, doublecross has the windows+ledge, these are basically present in all game mode designs but A/D maps. This is also considering the fact that these positions in chapel only look over a quarter of the map at best.

The cave area behind the chapel always seemed a little useless to me. It may be worth tightening up that area so that the cave isn't a dead end and traffic/fighting is a little more fluid and direct back there. Maybe by removing it or just widening the path and getting rid of the outer walls so the cliff just hangs over, I dunno.

I've heard this a couple times but so far i'm putting it down to personal class tactics and play style as other people have found the route invaluable whilst some prefer to just attack the CP directly. The route really needs to be there even if just as an option. The point gets really locked down from opposite the main door and the back entrance is essential for flanking. Every time i've seen a bulwark of 2-3 minutes broken down it was because someone decided not to waste their life throwing themselves into spam and sentry fire but come from a different angle. Also the back room also makes for an excellent sentry nest, bringing more players to this flank via teleporters. The map is small enough as it is without me totally removing or condensing sections and the likely reason it doesn't get used much is because the spawn structure chucks players out into the coffin building or at the chapel, only players with initiative take the graveyard flank and for the moment i'm fine with this.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
61c383e4322506acfa43d1be6aee8.jpg

Like that maybe :}
Like that, except those roof shingles look crazy thin. I think there should be a bit of trim between 8 and 16 units below the shingles themselves.

Otherwise the stone-shingles transition is just too crisp.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I can't quote on my phone, but I mean specifically the cave with pickups. The back route is fine in itself except for that imo

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm kind of unhappy with the size of the map, its relatively small size may lead to incredibly repetitive gameplay (though players don't appear to have many problems playing harvest_event). There have been complaints about the "flatness" of the map which i'd like to address. I'm curious how people would feel about me expanding the chapel so the inside had more space, perhaps expanding the inner balcony around-and-along the sides, which would in turn give me more options to include additional entrance points to the CP at a second level.

It'd be a lot of work to move things over to make space, but if it improves the gameplay quality i'm for doing so. It's kind of my own fault for putting as much detail in as i have before properly testing it; but then it was only supposed to be a 72 hour contest entry.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
as much work as it'd be, i think a larger interior in the chapel could lead to more interesting gameplay on the point and maybe focus the fighting more on the point than on the routes and paths around the point

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008

The candle flames aren't working because i hadn't initiated the map settings by spawning, but you also get to see some major changes to the chapel itself and other areas. Ignore the ghost timings, the paths have changed lengths in a lot of places and i'm going to have to re-sync the teleporter spawn in/out affect.