Changing the Font in the new Steam UI

Jan 20, 2010
So, if any of you are like me, you absolutely loath the font used in the new Steam UI (Arial is the graphic synonym for Death.) And here's how to quickly and easily change it.

First of all, decide on your font of choice. You'll need one regular font and one "bold" font. The Regular font is used for the majority of the UI; the large menu, the majority of text here and there. The bold font is used for a lot of menus (such as the quick menu when you right click on the icon in the start menu). Either way, they both need to look good big and small, and look good together. In my opinion, simple sans-serif fonts work great and match the UI.

Once you have the fonts, go to program files/steam/resource/style and open the fire "steam.style" in notepad (or wordpad, or whatever.)

Right at the very beginning you'll see:

Code:
 // cool we can define font-families here as well
    basefont="Arial"
    basefontbold="Arial Bold"

Simply change the fonts to the font of your choice. In my case, I changed it to Aller and Vegur Medium.

For some fantastic fonts, just look here: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/08/40-excellent-freefonts-for-professional-design/
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/05/beautiful-high-quality-free-fonts-for-your-designs/

Hell, just browse Smashing Mag, they have awesome font articles.

Anyway, this is how mine worked out.

AllerSteam.png

It is possible to get more in-depth into the code, individually editing the separate fonts yourself. But that's not something I can describe in detail yet.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
I like the tutorial (although i wont use it (just i hate the ugly box around the title font).

Is there any way to change the font colour?

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
tf2font.jpg

TF2 font steam :p

Jan 20, 2010
tf2font.jpg

TF2 font steam :p

Hah, yeah, I did that as well. I didn't like how the font looked super small, though. Even though, it is possible to make most super small font not it, but not all of them.

Edit: Would anyone be interested in me outlining all the points in the steam.styles code where you can change the font and what it changes? I'm willing to do it, but I'm unsure how useful it would be.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Dang! Aller is an amazing UI font. Too bad it doesn't apply to stuff like the community tab or the store or anything.

Jan 20, 2010
Dang! Aller is an amazing UI font. Too bad it doesn't apply to stuff like the community tab or the store or anything.

Yeah, that'd be nice, but those are actual websites. I do not believe there is a way to force those to change. :p