Changing spawns depending on control points

Kamrat Otis

L1: Registered
Jul 1, 2011
Since Brandished's videos have been deleted and I have not been able to find anything else about it...

I'm making a 4-point map, and I just want to know how to change where RED team is going spawn depending on how many control points BLU has taken? I was thinking something along the lines of "Associated Control Point" but I have absolutely no idea.

GenEn

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not sure how you'd do it for multiple points, but for Egypt, for example, the forward spawn is default; the associated spawn point field is empty. It starts enabled; the second spawn points start disabled.

When the first control point is captured, there are inputs that disable the forward spawn and enable the second spawn. I suppose that for multiple points, you just have each spawn location become disabled and the next one back become enabled upon the capture of each point.

Edit: This shows what I'm talking about for the second point.

exef.png

Last edited:

Archmage MC

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2011
I would think you have your 'starting' spawn enabled and all the 'extra' spawns disabled. On cap, you disable and enable the spawns that you need to disable/enable, and that should do it?

GenEn

Jul 16, 2010
Edit: Got inputs and outputs reversed. You put the output to disable/enable the spawns that you want to change on the control point capture brush entity, and the inputs for the spawn entities will fill themselves out. You change outputs on the trigger_capture_area as shown in the picture above, with enabling the next spawn, and disabling the previous spawn.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Kamrat Otis

Jul 1, 2011
Pardon, but I'm still not sure what to write on the Output. The picture only shows the input and is not giving me a clear view of what to write in the Output.

osiem

L2: Junior Member
Jan 25, 2011
Okay, hope that makes things clear for you:

Let's say you've got 2 red spawns - 'spawn1' and 'spawn2'. You wan't the red team to spawn in 'spawn1' at first and after blu caps for example point B in 'spawn2'.

Here's what you need to do:
1. Go to 'spawn2' properties and set 'start disabled' value to 'yes'. Also make sure that in 'spawn1' it's set to 'no'
2. Go to the trigger_capture_area associated to point B. Go to 'outputs' tab.
3. Click 'add'. Then set following values:
'my output named' - OnCapTeam2 (remember - in hammer red is always 'team 1' and blu is 'team 2')
'targets entities named' - spawn1
'via this input' - disable
This output disables 'spawn1' after point B is capped. Now we need to enable 'spawn2'.
4. Click 'add' once again. Then set following values:
'my output named' - OnCapTeam2
'targets entities named' - spawn2
'via this input' - enable

And that's it. If you set everything right, it will surely work.

Last edited:

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like I should mention that in large a/d maps, red only has one spawnroom. In order to shorten walk times, there are usually shortcuts through the map that close after blu caps a point. I'm not sure if you're making an a/d map, but if you are, doing things this way might help red familiarize themselves with the map more quickly.