Changing levels without changelevel

T

The Asylum

so it's like this:

You know those vote maps, right? Where instead of the usual nextmap plugin, a server goes to an actual map that players do whatever it is they do to choose the next map (ie capturing a point, triggering a trigger volume, whatever). The typical vote map sends a changelevel "whatevermap" output to the sever, and away they go.

I was wondering: is it possible to do this without a changelevel command?

For instance: Say one of the maps on the menu gets updated. So if the winning candidate is "cp_fuckshittery_a1" but the sever has "cp_fuckshittery_a2" on the server instead. Obviously, the changelevel command has to point to a specific map on the server, or else it won't work.

And please don't say plugins. Plugins are not an option for me.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Nope, not possible to my knowledge. At least not with just entities and I/O. That vscript thing might be able to do it, but I don't think that's in TF2.

T

The Asylum

The changelevel command could roll down the list of versions? So it tries map_rc3, map_rc2, map_rc1, map_b5, map_b4, etc etc etc. This would apply pretty strict restrictions on how many versions you could have, though.

You know, that's pretty genius. Thanks.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That would have to assume a limited number of betas before rc, though.

I'm surprised there's not a "go to the first map that starts with ______" way to do it, the way the server kick and ban commands work with usernames.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Well, theoretically there wouldn't be a problem with having 100 outputs that cover more betas than anyone* could possibly use, but you'd still miss edge cases with odd names.

* Anyone excludes the one known as Icarus

Eureka

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2013
Each map sends a command to the server with a new cvar. An easy way to do this is to remove your server_rotation or maplist.txt or whatever it's called.. then you set the cvar to your votemap.

I'm not sure which plugin does this though.