Change it back, Change it back!

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Lord Ned, May 20, 2008.

1. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Somewhere between friday of last week and today, you guys changed one of the tags on the forum. It's now blocked at school. (Which makes me a sad panda) and it didn't used to.

The school only blocks some of the forums. (Blocks Facepunch) but didn't block this, Halfwit, etc.

Did one of the admins change anything or ad anything to the metatags or anything? I'm pretty sure that the blocker did not change.

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    if i remember correctly, DJive was doing some SEO on the site. so yea, some meta tags were probably changed.

3. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Could you get in contact with him and get a copy pasta of the Meta tags for me please? (I don't think it's reading the word "forum" in meta tags, pretty sure my private forum has that in it and I can still go there.)

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    you can take a look at the tags by looking at the source code :)

either way, here they are

Code:
     <meta name="keywords" content="tf2, maps, custom maps, tf2 custom maps, tf2 maps, custom mapping, hammer, sdk" />
    <meta name="description" content="Dedicated Site for custom TF2 Maps, Tutorials and Resources" />

5. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think dedicated does it.

6. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    I put "tf2, maps, custom maps, tf2 custom maps, tf2 maps, custom mapping, hammer, sdk" into google, and it didn't block anything. (I know it blocks google keywords, I can't search Blog, or Terrorist, etc"

Were they updated?
    I know it won't block for:
    Tf2, Maps, Mapping, Hammer

Those are common or un-known by the IT guys.

However, searching:
    "Dedicated Site for custom TF2 Maps, Tutorials and Resources" brings this up as the first hit blocked for Message Boards. I wonder if it's because it's www.forums.tf2maps.net, since it doesn't block www.halfwit-2.com/phpBB2, or www.hailaeros.com/board

Blocks www.forums.facepunchstudios.com though. However this was not changed since last friday was it? (the path to get to the board.)

Also,
    Quiet you. >: (

:p

7. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    lol,
    not the path has been like that for about 2-3 months now

8. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Thought so.

Well. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else got any? :S

9. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    i haven't had a chance to better the meta tags yet. all the stuff i did was more so vb optimization and robots.txt.

IDK man, i mean its all about google, maybe they finally sent enough bots to see we are a gaming site.

10. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    robots.txt? o.0

11. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    How better to show tribute to our future robot overlords? :glare:

12. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    there are bots on the net that crawl the net for info. robots.txt is just a set of instructions on how to handle a particular website.

13. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Interesting. I knew there were bots, but didn't realize you could influence them or whatever.

14. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    ie, IE we dont care for them to look at user CP or try making a post link =p