Change Control Point Model

Cargo Party

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2009
So I am starting my map very soon, and there is one thing I really want to do. My map is going to be a 3 CP Gravel Pit style map. Most of the buildings will be wooden and I wanted to change the model for the control point. Do you guys think this will be a good idea as long as it stands out?

Beamos

L2: Junior Member
May 14, 2008
I don't see why not!

As long as it bears some resemblance to the original model or has some other way to let players know wtf the thing is, plus it looks aesthetically pleasing with the capture point hologram floating above it, I say go for it!

Edit: Derp. I misread the OP. Make sure they fit in line with the original holograms so players know their function and which team controls what, when. As long as they fit those 2 parameters, I don't see an issue with changing the hologram.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Can't say. Depends how different you want to make it. There's a certain playability benefit to keeping it consistent: Players know exactly what's expected of them and already know how to interact with the control point.

With a custom one, they have to guess whether it's capturable by their team, what significance it has versus the other points (is it optional?) and (depending on how fancy you get) whether or not it has an orbital beam weapon strike from the heavens whenever it gets captured as a map effect...

It's a aesthetics vs. playability tradeoff that you'll have to figure out yourself.

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
A good example of custom cap points can be found [ame=http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=6669]here[/ame]. Also, look through the most recent version of pl_cashworks. The cp holograms there are custom ones designed to work with the alpine theme, and look very nice without sacrificing gameplay :)

Beamos

L2: Junior Member
May 14, 2008
Oooh, those custom ones look so sexy!!

Cargo Party

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks Radaka!

The first set of points have a very nice wooden theme to them. But i was actually thinking about changing the metal area to something different too. Not just the hologram. The actual metal surrounding it is what i want to change. Maybe to a wooden type look. Coupled with the first set of holograms Radaka linked me too, would look amazing imo.

My map is going to be mostly outside, at night, but with the three cp's being inside wooden buildings. So that wooden theme would be very nice.

Last edited: