1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Certain custom models fail to pakrat

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tovilovan, Mar 26, 2010.

1. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    When my map is compiled, everything seems to work, except one thing: the skin of the buttress_tree_small (or whatever its name is) purple-black checkered. All the other custom content is working, and neither pakrat or packbsp shows any errors. I've also tried amanually adding the files to the pak, but it didn't help. The file isn't missing, it shows up correctly on my computer but not on those who haven't got the swamp pack installed.

Any help you can give me?

2. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Pakrat won't hold your hand. You need to look through it and manually add in any missing files.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Pakrat won't automatically add model textures, so you have to manually add them in.

You must be adding the wrong files or something, because that's the solution.

4. Cynick

Cynick L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure they're in the "materials" subfolder in the BSP (typically for model textures it will be the "materials/models" folder)

5. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    PackBSP will eventually hold you hand ;)

The problem is that packing the MDL file is not sufficient, because the skins themselves are not stored inside the model. (Although I can see why it would be easy to assume so.)

You also need to pack the materials the model uses as separate line-items. Ex:

• models/mymodel.mdl
    • models/mymodel.phy
    • models/mymodel.vvd
    • models/mymodel.sw.vtx
    • models/mymodel.dx80.vtx
    • models/mymodel.dx90.vtx
    • materials/models/mymodelskinred.vmt
    • materials/models/mymodelskinred.vtf
    • materials/models/mymodelskinorange.vmt
    • materials/models/mymodelskinorange.vtf

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'll check it out. Thanks guys! Just a question: for the average model, what files are needed to mnake it work? The ones terr posted?

7. Cynick

Cynick L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yep. All the related model files (MDL, PHY, VVD, VTX) and whatever VTFs and VMTs that are used in the model.