Cave wall/roof - displacement help

nossie

L3: Member
May 9, 2008
ok so my map (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3011) well stage is a cave setting... ive done all the layout and stuff but all the walls are still flat... (most) im just not sure about the "theme" of the walls (how they actually look) and how to go about doing them... (roof first? walls? lower the roof to the walls? etc)
so any help is appreciated :)

nossie

PS if u need a pic ill post some(even tho they are in the map thread.. lol)

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
A good way to start is by making all of them flat, then subdivide them, then just roughen them up and make it look more natural. I usually end up doing the floor, then walls, then ceiling.

nossie

L3: Member
May 9, 2008
hmm ok ive tried the subdividing... (is all that does make the corners round? if so then i did it right :p) ill try roughing them up... also is it ok if i dont make everything sew together?.. IE the roof just overhangs behind the walls?...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, its ok to have the roof and floor sticking beyond the walls if you want a sharp corner, but if you want a smoother transition then you'd best keep them sewn.
I detailed my own process for displacements here where theres a little section about the inside stuff.