CTF Castle

Nightgunner5

L1: Registered
Dec 27, 2010
Dungeon

This is my first (released) TF2 map, so I'd like some feedback on how to make it better (or just tell me what I did wrong and I'll try to figure out the rest).

This is a simple Medieval CTF map with flags instead of briefcases.

Edit: Due to popular request, this map's name has been changed from Castle to Dungeon

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It causes confusion and annoyance. If ctf_well and cp_well were entirely different maps and ideas by different people you'd probably be a bit indignant.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Zombie Fortress is a MOD. Do I need to also avoid names of books and movies? I'm pretty sure the word Castle was used before TF2 even existed.

How about this: YOU give me a name.

Yeah it is custom gamemode for tf2, then what, what yyler said still applies, people play dungeon, they see ctf dungeon and expect to see ctf version of very map they just played in zf and then they will be disappointed to see it is something else.

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Hey I had some free time so i decided to just download your map and have a quick run around. I noticed a few problems with your map but please remember, I'm not trying to tell you you suck or that you should never make a map again in your life, I'm just giving you a few helpful tips on how to improve future maps.

1. Before we start, I'd like to point you to the maps and downloads page where you can freely and easily upload your map for easy download again, people don't really like to go to big download sites like megafile to download maps.

2. A couple of visual problems first, nothing major but just a few things I saw
ctf_castle0000.jpg

Can see round the side of that archway

ctf_castle0002.jpg

You've got some z-fighting on the re-spawn doors, just move the re-spawn room visualiser out a bit so it isn't inline with the door itself

ctf_castle0003.jpg

Well done on fading out those torches, that's something many very accomplished mappers still don't do. But because of the small nature of the map, and how the fires are still there, I wouldn't really worry about it for this situation. You really can't get far enough away to make it worth it.
Also, the bottom of the arch isn't touching the ground.

ctf_castle0001.jpg

for being the only health and ammo packs, they are in a very out of the way position, practically useless. Also, when placing health and ammo, make sure it isn't in a corner or an alcove otherwise a fleeing player who try's to get health may end up trapped by the enemy and killed anyway.

4. I say a couple of errors in the console, there is supposedly a small health pack in there which didn't turn up, and the falcon and thunder ambient sounds weren't there. I'm sorry but I forgot to copy the console to give you a bit more of an idea

5. You don't need setup time for a capture the flag map, it's completely pointless and people will be bored and stuck in the re-spawn room, even if it is only 10 seconds.

ctf_castle0004_respawndiagram.jpg

From the same position (just one above the other), it is quicker and easier for the attackers to get to the flag than the defenders. This makes protecting the flag very difficult. Similarly, because the defenders re-spawn in a pit below the entrance to the room, they are at a severe hight disadvantage, where the attackers could easily sit above them and camp their spawn.

7. Finally, the main problem with the map:
ctf_castle0004.jpg

The map is incredibly small, I wouldn't want to play this with more than 2v2 even though it is in medieval mode. What is another problem is that there is only one path connecting the two flag rooms, and the two flags can actually see each other. What I predict, from experience, would occur is the two teams charging at each other inside the tight tunnel with snipers picking the other team out from the other side of the map until one team manages to push through and then camp the respawn while a scout caps the flag three times, then the round restarts, and it happens all over again. In all maps, no matter what game-type and function, you need side routes and open area.

I like how the map looks, it's got nice yet simple detailing which manages to be effective for the map. The use of lighting is good, maybe a bit dark in some areas, but I'm not going to complain. I hope you take this information I've given you and use it to improve your future maps so you won't make the same mistakes. I can tell you it's a better job that my first release anyway, so well done. If you have any other questions or abuse, feel free to PM me.

I look forward to seeing more of your maps in the future.