Carving in Displacements

RevolutionTeam

L4: Comfortable Member
May 19, 2019
Hi!

I wanted to create a tunnel (Think Badwater A) on my map, so I was going to use the carving tool to create a tunnel. However, I'd made a displacement on top, and for some reason, it wouldn't carve.

Is there a more efficient way to make a tunnel? If I'm doing it right, can I get some help?

I'm willing to supply pictures.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Don't. Carve. Ever. It will unleash all hell upon you and will make you wish you never new about the feature at all.

If you want to create a tunnel, make it out of solid brushes first (with top, sides and floor) in the shape that you want. Then make the inward facing brushfaces displacements (only those faces, not the entire brush) and displace them to your liking.

This tutorial goes in-depth in creating displacements. I recommend you give it a look.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Alternatively, the arch tool is pretty nice as it allows you to create nice arches easily. Select "arch" when making a brush to create arches:
upload_2019-7-14_18-54-56.png

RevolutionTeam

L4: Comfortable Member
May 19, 2019
This tutorial goes in-depth in creating displacements. I recommend you give it a look.
Thank you for linking it! I think prebuilding the tunnel, then displacing it seems like a better idea.

Alternatively, the arch tool is pretty nice

I came here from watching a video about the arch tool. Cool stuff.

Thank you!