Carving Does Absolutely Nothing?!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by RetroNuva10, Feb 4, 2015.

1. RetroNuva10

RetroNuva10 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm making a TF2 ctf map, and I try and carve part of a wall in order to compensate for a window which is there.. and.. I click "carve" and it literally does nothing. HELP!?!?! This is probably the eighth problem I've encountered in Hammer. THEY NEED TO MAKE A BETTER MAPPING PROGRAM. This entire program is something that'd come out in 2003. NOT an awesome, optimized program that'd be released in 2012. I am constantly finding problems/bugs/issues whilst mapping and I'm so, extremely sick of it. Sorry for the ranting -- Could someone help me with this Carving issue?

Cheers,
    -Ben.

2. ThrowingPie

ThrowingPie L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  3. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Don't carve. Carving does have its uses, and hell, your scenario here sounds simple enough that this particular tool may just work without screwing up like it usually does, but you should just know that most of the time it fails poorly. I think I remember YM saying that its cutting algorithm is very effective at increasing compile times and dropping framerates, as well as making far too many blocks for a simple shape.

Instead, use the clip tool to cut into 4 or however many pieces and arrange from there. It's the second one up on the left hand toolbar.

4. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    I would suggest not making a habit of using the carve tool, since you can't control how it splits the brush and can lead to overly complex brushwork. If you need to make a square hole in a wall, try using the clipping tool to split the wall brush into several pieces (use Shift+X to change the 2D outlines to white before clipping in order to keep both parts). Then you can arrange them to make a hole.

5. RetroNuva10

Positive Ratings:
    Okay. Thanks guys. I'll try and start using the Clipping tool more often. Thanks for the great info!

6. fauks

fauks L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ctrl X will cycle through clipping modes after you draw the line - delete left, delete right, keep both. In the window case (and most cases) you'll keep both sides.

Also remember the newly cut faces will have the current texture applied.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Lmao, no you're just terrible at it, it's different.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Por que no los dos? :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ibex

aa ibex

Positive Ratings:
    This program at its base was released back with half-life (1998). It's been updated sure, but that mostly comes down to available entities or adding new tools.

10. RetroNuva10

Positive Ratings:
    How about you comment saying something like "I find it's a great program. Maybe it's because you're new to it that you find it's not a good map builder." Instead of putting me down by saying I'm not skilled in a program I've owned for 3 months. Jerk.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Hands up - This is the Grammar Police! *Ahem*:

"¿Por qué no los dos?"

[​IMG]

(I'm sorry I had to correct you're grammar)

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    How about you comment saying something like "I'm not very experienced with this program, and some of the features are unclear" rather than blaming the program for not doing exactly what you expect without reading any documentation.

The Internet Grammar Curse strikes again.

13. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    Carve, huh yeah
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh
    Carve, huh yeah
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing, say it again y'all
    Carve, huh good God
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing, listen to me

14. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think hammer is a great software, but it does the job, it's always funny to see people that are learning something new blaming the tools instead of their own skill and abilities.

Also Sergis :

http://www.mapcore.org/topic/15745-koth-roundhouse/

15. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Again, if anyone feels like what someone said breaks forum rules, please use the report button in the bottom left of their post (Little computer with red circle on it).

16. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    Koth, Roundhouse, yeah
    Whatever happened to it?
    Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh
    Koth, Roundhouse, yeah
    Where did it end up?
    Absolutely nowhere, say it again y'all
    Roundhouse, good God
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing, listen to me

17. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Well the guy is working at bungie now so I don't think he have enough time for that, but the technique is kinda amazing imo.

18. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer could be dramatically improved, especially in terms of its "advanced" tools (displacement manipulation, carve, etc). Its interface is stuck in the 90s. But all the core interface concepts are absolutely rock solid for doing brush-based geometry construction. It's like a more straightforward and slightly shittier version of CoD Radiant. Definitely easier to learn than Blender (which I'm currently doing).