Cart Crawlers

Cart Crawlers a6

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
So this is the going to be the official thread for cart crawlers discussion.
I plan to update the game abit before I go sharing it around on reddit.

Current next goals for development are.
- Fix the cart-distance readout on the death screen.
- Implement jumping (and double jump)
- Make scout's melee work correctly (and suck)

As for ammo, I'm not sure how to handle it. Should packs refill ammo for all of your slots?, or both of them.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Please continue this! I enjoyed playing it during the jam, and it really needs to be expanded and improved on!

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
I have been working on it a bit but it hasn't been a priority for me lately. Every time I do I run into some archaic issue with godot. Like currently all projectiles spawn facing backwards for one frame, hardly noticeable with the weapons in the current build, but with melee swooshes its very jarring.

Changes from the current build
- if you jump on the cart you can ride it
- cart speed scales based on distance from cart rather than a hard cuttoff
- double jumping for scout works
- bat is mostly functional
- soldier can shoot rockets, but they don't explode yet
- many small changes regarding how the player entity interacts with enemy entities
- sprites for a new enemy

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
baboab.gif

I'm doing a development pass on cart crawlers this weekend. I'm putting up an informal vote as to what I should prioritize.

[ x ] working ammo mechanics
[ x ] medkits
[ x ] a new zone
[ ] a boss
[ x ] pyro
[ x ] demoman
[ ] tf2 accurate market gardening in 2D

feel free to suggest something else that's not on the list.

Last edited:

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
cartcrawlerstickies.gif

Demoman's stock weapons are now functional.

Grenades act pretty close to how they do in tf2 regarding whether or not they will det on touch.

Stickies deal 0.1 damage on impact in case you needed just that little bit more

The melee is a little jank atm but fixes to that will apply to demo automatically.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Getting strong Nuclear Throne vibes from that.

Are the enemies you're blowing up pieces of teleported bread, or dogbread? Or is dogbread the result of teleported bread

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Getting strong Nuclear Throne vibes from that.

Yes, that is the intention. I was originally considering a nuclear throne mod, but I decided to make it from scratch so I could add additional features.

Currently the lowest tier enemies are the teleport breads, and the rest will be various sentrypunk mechs and robots.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
So, one design issue with porting TF2 to Nuclear throne is weapon drops. A-lot of the interest in runs comes from what weapons you encounter and which ones you choose to use. TF2 has a large number of weapons but they are split between characters which leaves some categories rather lacking. Like demo only has 4 grenade launchers.

So I was thinking, what if I added past forms of the way weapons were balanced, as their own weapons. For example, here is what would be available for scattergun drop pool.

D9lYvXE.png

Do you think this would work?
What should I name the variants, and should they be visually distinct in some way?
What tiers should they be?

Enjinia Mio

L1: Registered
Feb 25, 2018
cartcrawlerstickies.gif

Demoman's stock weapons are now functional.

Grenades act pretty close to how they do in tf2 regarding whether or not they will det on touch.

Stickies deal 0.1 damage on impact in case you needed just that little bit more

The melee is a little jank atm but fixes to that will apply to demo automatically.
I wish I could get my hands on this version...

G.bo

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 24, 2017
I can't wait to see this hit beta. I don't care how long it takes: in the words of Mumford & Sons, "Hello, we're Mumford & Sons."

Wait, hold on, that's the wrong quote from Mumford & Sons...

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
qkbQgIq.gif

May as well post an update on the progress. It hasn't been super speedy because the 3 map contests going on have priority for me atm.

The biggest improvement is weapon drops/pickups allowing the player to hotswap weapons with ones on the ground.

I also added some obstacles like rocks and crates, greatly improved the world generation, added some basic menus and hud, and improved the existing enemies so they feel more punchy to fight.

I've also added the blackbox and panicattack.

Theres still a long way to go before a playable release. Since starting the project godot released version 3, I tried to port the game to that but it did not end well, I would need to rewrite the game from scratch for that to happen.

G.bo

Sep 24, 2017

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Ah yeah, the bullets being sideways is a bug related to picking up a pistol, if spawn with it (by picking scout) it will work fine. Also if you try picking up a weapon that uses ammo to replace your melee slot the game will crash. There are many other dumb bugs like these that are preventing me from dropping a build.

G.bo

Sep 24, 2017
Currently the lowest tier enemies are the teleport breads, and the rest will be various sentrypunk mechs and robots.

I assume when bosses are worked in down the road, we'll probably see some halloween bosses like Merasmus, HHH, Monoculus, and of course, Skeleton King, the mini-boss of the four.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
I have a list of bosses planned but none of them are halo-ween ones (far too predictable). Merasmus will be included as the shop keeper and a few other things though.

The first boss will probably be Sir nukes a-lot. A giant robo demo from mvm.

G.bo

Sep 24, 2017
I have a list of bosses planned but none of them are halo-ween ones (far too predictable). Merasmus will be included as the shop keeper and a few other things though.

The first boss will probably be Sir nukes a-lot. A giant robo demo from mvm.

...I kind of like that a lot more, actually. I totally forgot MvM even had bosses with actual names.

EDIT: Just looked up some robot bosses with actual names (not just Giant Heal-On-Kill Heavy). I'll list them here just for those who don't feel like digging through TF2 wiki for them.
  • Sergeant Crits (Always crits, 60K hp, buffed rocket launcher)
  • Major Crits (Same as Sergeant, but rocket speed is -60% instead of +30%)
  • Chief Blast Soldier (Liberty Launcher, 60K hp, lots of knock back and blast radius)
  • Major Bomber (Always crits, 40K hp, buffed grenade launcher)
  • Sir Nukesalot (Two clip nuke cannon, 50K hp, practically one shots you)
  • Captain Punch (Fists of steel heavy, 60K hp, punches you really hard
EDIT EDIT: So Titanium Tank came out, and with it, a couple of cool bosses came out as well. This is not to say they will make it into this, but I thought I'd add a few that I can remember.
  • Dockyard Mortar Monstrosity (Giant Nuke Demoman, technically unkillable, like 50 ft tall)
  • Pinch It Pally (Fish Scout, extremely fast, keeps Randy "Rockets" alive)
  • Randy "Rockets" (Giant Heavy, shoots rapid fire rockets, heals off Pinch It Pally)
  • Pressured Pyrous (Giant Pyro, shoots flames like 40ft away from itself)
  • Public Safety Chief of Staff (Rapidfire Soldier, deals "Caustic Damage")
  • Ordinance/Ballistics Safety Assistant (Giant Medics, O = Blast resist, B = Bullet resist, both heal the Public Safety Chief of Staff)
  • Dragonborn Heavy (Mobile Brass Beast Heavy, healed by Notthemissionmaker Medic)
  • Notthemissionmaker Medic (Giant Medic, heals Dragonborn Heavy)
  • Turret Tank (It's a tank with Sentries on it. Enough Said.)
Some names may vary based on location, but these are the essential boss bots I remembered.

Last edited: