CP Carnival

Warren Moonbeam

L1: Registered
Mar 12, 2011
This is my very first map. It is an A/D style control map.

Currently I only have 1 stage but am looking to expand it over time.

The theme is a carnival/amusement park theme, as the 50s were what some consider to be the Golden Age of amusement park creation. The first point is on a boardwalk; the second will be under a moving Ferris Wheel.

WolfKit

L3: Member
Jun 26, 2012
What is the purpose of the path by point A that is sticking out over what looks like a deathpit?
It's exposed, has a height disadvantage, and you have to risk of being knocked off. I would not venture out there for just a small health.
Think about putting it at an equal or higher height and/or put up fences along the sides facing the main area to provide cover make it harder to be knocked off.

If that building in the upper right is blu spawn, that's a problem. One exit from spawn is easy to spawncamp, and a sentry gun at the top of the ramp opposite the exit would have a height advantage.
I would say enlarge that area into a courtyard so there is room for multiple spawn exits, and make another path out of that courtyard. Maybe to the aforementioned path over the deathpit?

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
In the 5th screenshot, why is a ground texture your walls? it looks goofy. I'd stick to dev textures just so you can get a sense of scale. Also having those 2 vans right next to each other looks sort of out of place. I wouldn't have any pick-ups on a platform jutting out over a death pit that much. Having a full health that close to the smaller one makes getting it over a death pit less of a risk.

Jan 8, 2011
I'm gonna give some real feedback here, since I know that the gameday proved rather fruitless.

Point A:
There's a major height variation issue; all height variation dies right before the point, and it ends up being a completely flat surface where the only height variation is that path on the bottom. The bottom path is actually a height disadvantage anyway, because only BLU will take it and end up attacking uphill. I would suggest removing that nook behind the point and instead continuing the balcony from spawn through there.
Another issue is the lack of flanking paths. There's no way for a BLU player to get behind RED on either point. On point A, this could perhaps be remedied by extending the cave that leads to B to open out onto a secondary path near BLU's spawn.
The only other thing I can think of is that the whole fighting area for point A is too small. The point is too close to BLU's spawn, making play on point A much too fast, and also making it nearly impossible for BLU to not capture A.

Point B:
The biggest issue here is how closed off the point is. That enclosure it's in makes it a splash damage hell, and one sentry by the health and ammo in screenshot 3 can utterly destroy any enemy who steps onto the point. The enclosure also makes it so that the only way onto the point is from the front, which means all players are forced onto that tiny plot of land right before the point.
The bottlenecking before the point also means that one well-placed sentry can cover all three exits from A to B. A sentry like that will always be nearly impossible to take out as well.
Point B also has a similar lack of height play. I would suggest continuing BLU's upper platform to be closer to the point (and also a bit less high up). Also make it possible to get onto the point from the lower path. It would become a bit like Dustbowl's B in stage 2 that way.

In general, I think the map could benefit from just being a little bigger horizontally.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Having an enclosed area for a point isn't really a big deal, especially on stage 1 of a 3 stage map. Look at Dustbowl 1-2 for instance. Dustbowl is not a perfect map (if it was, we'd have all given up by now) but it's by no means horrible. You could do a lot to look at how it (or Goldrush) paces and arranges its capture points.

Jan 8, 2011
Having an enclosed area for a point isn't really a big deal, especially on stage 1 of a 3 stage map. Look at Dustbowl 1-2 for instance.

A fair point, though Dustbowl 1-2 has two entrances, and any sentry that points at its front is fairly vulnerable.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, definitely. That's the real lesson here: there's only one way to approach it, and one gun can lock it down while being totally out of sight.