Capture Point & Payload

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ArtistDude88, Oct 2, 2010.

1. ArtistDude88

ArtistDude88 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have an idea for a single stage map, and I require the use of capture points leading up to the use of a kart. I saw a few threads about HUD issues, but I just wanted to ask if this was a feasible project?

And about the HUD issue... I only want to use 2 or 3 capture points to "unlock" the kart. There's no way to change the HUD over once the final point is taken?

I'm relatively new to Hammer, so don't flame me too hard. :blushing:

Thanks!

2. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's no way to change the HUD dynamically I don't think. Meaning, you either have to have a CP HUD or Payload HUD.

From a gameplay point of view, it is possible. pl_cranetop has you cap a point so the payload lowers from a crane onto the track.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ArtistDude88

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, Beetle!

Now I can start plotting out a CP + PL layout :)

4. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Valve designed the gamemodes in TF2 to be robust as long as you try to stay within them and not combine them, which doesn't make much sense considering all the other things you can modify. It's possible, yes, but you can't change the HUD, which means you'll end up with the payload cart being tracked in a tiny little box.

5. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think Valve could open up the HUD to be as flexible as we wish it was.

Imagine for a second that you have a Payload + CP map thus:

Take card from A to B. This unlocks C for capture. Upon capture it raises a platform allowing the card to travel from B to D.

How would you even represent that as a HUD?

What if (again) it was:

Payload A -> B, Cap C, Cap D, second payload E -> F?

What if you start tossing CTF in the mix as well, especially some of the tricky community designed CTFs (where it's more like football)?

6. ArtistDude88

Positive Ratings:
    Oh well. The HUD will have to suffer then, haha!

I have no idea how'd they be represented, but dang! Those ideas sound really awesome! :p

7. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've seen some other maps use text in the map to come up. You could use this to inform the player what points have been capped, but it looks really bad.

You could also have signs or boards in the map that change according to what points have been capped. If done well, this could look really, really good.