"Capture Bonus" entity setup?

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Since I don't feel like thinking too deeply on the subject, as I'm not sure I want to implement it in my port I'm doing anyway, I figured I'd just ask around and see if it might be possible with these entities. I knew it was in past Fortress games.

It is this: When a button is pressed, it activates a "multiplier" to the team if they capture the flag while the button is pressed. So for instance instead of the capture counting as 1, it counts as 2 if they cap while in control of the button. This of course could also be a control point (which would probably work better for TF2).

I really liked this element in the map I'm converting in previous Q3 engine versions of Fortress, but I'm not sure if this is possible in source, especially with the fairly limited TF2 entities. Any ideas?

B

BeelZebub

Yes, it is doable. You can use the game_score entity to increment the number of team points (which is essentially caps in a CTF map). Just make sure that the !activator is a player on the team whoes score you want to increment.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Totally forgot about that. That would make it pretty easy.

I probably won't implement it though only because the cap limit is usually really low anyway. It's not unlimited for 30 minutes like in the old days.

B

BeelZebub

Yeah. I was also unhappy how the cap limit works. I was working on a duel map and wanted to keep score using game_score, but because of the cap limit, the match would end after a couple wins. My way around this was to keep track of the score internally with math_counter entities and then making a custom scoreboard to display it. This may be an option for you as well.

Ganon11

L1: Registered
Dec 22, 2007
Is the point limit up to the mapmaker or the server? I know ctf_rugby is set to end after 10 points, do it would seem like it's the map's decision...but ctf_stronghold has a victory song set to play when a team gets 3 points, yet our servers keep going until 4 points.