Captive

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Bacon Sandvich, May 5, 2010.

1. Bacon Sandvich

Bacon Sandvich L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This will be a more complete map of my jailbreak gamemode concept. This will need intensive testing and quite possibly many changes. I have a month before school starts again, so this will be my timeframe to at least get this to a nice clean non-glitched beta. Wish me luck!

Jailbreak CP: How it works

As you and your opponents die they are spawned in a jail.

To free your teammates from jail you must cap the point on the opposing teams fort.

You will have to defend your own cap point from capture to prevent the jailed from escaping. If the opposing team does cap the point you will have to recapture it to close off the jail preventing any more escapes.

If your team captures all of the opposing team, you win.

Bots work, however they play like they are on a A/D map. Blue mostly wins.

Note: Sorry bout the pics, Ive been away so long that I have forgotten the command to remove the UI.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    cl_drawhud 0

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    I like what I am seeing so far. However, I am confused as to how the mode works.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bacon Sandvich

Positive Ratings:
    Improved the description and thanks honorum. Ill post some new pics after I get out of school.

5. Snacks

Snacks TODO: Clever title

Positive Ratings:
    a1:

The gamemode and win conditions are confusing.
    Base to base sniping action!
    There's no resupply or ammo/med kit pickups.
    Timer doesn't appear to do anything.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Bacon Sandvich

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks snacks, will be working on these issues tonight when I begin work on a2.

7. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    wow. seems fun.

8. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    By chance, are you familiar with the sourcemod "Jailbreak"? The mod plays very similar to your level design concept. Unfortunately, for the mod, the servers are dead; no one plays anymore. I don't have much time now, but I'll be sure to test it out if I get the chance, possibly late beta. Good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bacon Sandvich

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, in fact Im taking inspiration from the mod as I have played it for as long as the quake 3 days of modding where I first played jailbreak.

10. Geal

Geal L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    So, just curious - what do the players in jail do? Sit around and wait to be let out?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Bacon Sandvich

Positive Ratings:
    Im still thinking this one out, it depends on how long the rounds last and how long your stuck in jail. If it will be lengthy, like in the official jailbreak source mod, I will look into creating secret passage puzzles to break out of.

12. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    why not just make it an arena mode-type deal. you die = sit out.

capturing either of the 3 CP's = JAILBREAK! (you spawn)

all of other team in jail = win
    all CP's capped = win

EDIT: the 3 CP's wouldnt fit this map's design so capturing the opposing one = jailbreak like you said. same with the all CP's capped.

13. Krowbar

Krowbar L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    First off, let me apologize for the thread necromancy...
    However, I would like to say that this map looks amazing! A little before you originally posted this I did a quick search for TF2 JailBreak mods and found none. Now I found one! Most excellent! While I'm not a very good mapper, myself, from a player's point of view the map looks well designed and clean. I played a few rounds 10v10 with bots and the implementation of JailBreak works very nicely!
    UT2k4 JailBreak has been a LAN party favorite with many of my friends so I would love to see more work done on this so I could use it some time.

Any plans for further development?

EDIT: I'm also curious as to the actual implementation of the JailBreak rules in your map (eg the entities used to count players, etc). Would you feel comfortable sharing that or is it a trade secret?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  14. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    If possible, keep players in spectate while dead, so they have more to do than wander around a cell