cant pack custom made textures with the map file

unkle

L1: Registered
Sep 11, 2018
so recently i made a joke map with custom textures that i made for it. first i finished the textures and used vtfedit to turn them to texture files and then copied those files to tf2s materials folder along with a txt file for making those textures to work in game

"Lightmappedgeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "filenamehere/texturenamehere"
"$surfaceprop" "surfacetypehere"
}

i finally aplied them to my map and loaded the game to succes, the custom textures were working just fine.
then i wanted to pack the texture files to the map file so people downloading it wouldnt have to download the textures separately and put them to the materials folder like i did. so i downloaded pakrat and VIDE, first i tried with pakrat and succesfully packed the textures with the bsp (the map file size increased about 2 mb so it was obvious they were packed) then i deleted the texture from my materials to test it, loaded up the map and saw that none of the textures worked. so i tried with VIDE and got the same result, even though they were packed succesfully none of the custom textures would work. so have i done something wrong or missed something in the process of packing the files or the packing programs are broken ?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
To test packing, you don't need to delete your material. Instead, you can either open the map with GCFscape if you have it and look, you can also open the map ingame and type 'sv_pure 2' into the console and look around to check. If you really want to make sure, you can just give it to a friend or anyone who doesn't have the texture installed.

unkle

Sep 11, 2018
so it seems like the textures ARE packed but when i load it up i always get missing textures, will try the sv_pure 2 and post the results

Attachments

• sa.png
    sa.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 116

unkle

Sep 11, 2018
tried with sv_pure 2 and i got the good ol missing texture , i gave it to one of my friends who doesnt have the texture installed and he got the same issue

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
That looks like the VMT isn't there. You'll need that packed as well (unless it is somewhere else)

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
CompilePal does packing much easier and faster than Pakrat or VIDE, so I would suggest using that instead and seeing if you still have the problem