Cant open Hammer because gameinfo.txt is missing but i have one

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

DragonX

L1: Registered
Sep 9, 2017
whenever i open hammer in the bin folder it shows this error
steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\gameinfo.txt is missing
i tried to find it in tf folder but its there
---i verify the game files ----and deleted the hl2 application file and forcing update tf2
NOTHING WORKED

i tried to open hammer via sfm but full of problems including cant open resource pack and cant run the map
sooooooo
how can i make maps!?!?!?!

Attachments

• degyltrsfdgfjh.png
    degyltrsfdgfjh.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 525

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
Your gameinfo file, although existent, could be corrupted. Try deleting it and verifying the game integrity again.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Start TF2 once, then see if the gameinfo appears. Sometimes some hammer files fail to load if its a clean install. Starting tf2 also should prompt a verify/download if it find something missing.

DragonX

Sep 9, 2017
Start TF2 once, then see if the gameinfo appears. Sometimes some hammer files fail to load if its a clean install. Starting tf2 also should prompt a verify/download if it find something missing.
not working

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
Are you trying to run hammer from tf2s bin folder or are you attempting to use Source SDK?

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I've had this problem before and I've helped a lot of people with it. Usually its because hammer is looking the wrong location for gameinfo.txt after someone relocates a drive's files or installs the game on another drive. Go to steam\steamapps\common\TeamFortress2\bin and find GameConfig.txt

Open it and make sure all the lines that include a file address under "Half Life 2" and "Team Fortress 2" are set to look up the right file location. For instance, I moved my tf2 installation from the C: drive to my G: drive so I had to change all of the instances where C: appears in the file to G:

Very simple fix, hope this helps.

DragonX

Sep 9, 2017
I've had this problem before and I've helped a lot of people with it. Usually its because hammer is looking the wrong location for gameinfo.txt after someone relocates a drive's files or installs the game on another drive. Go to steam\steamapps\common\TeamFortress2\bin and find GameConfig.txt

Open it and make sure all the lines that include a file address under "Half Life 2" and "Team Fortress 2" are set to look up the right file location. For instance, I moved my tf2 installation from the C: drive to my G: drive so I had to change all of the instances where C: appears in the file to G:

Very simple fix, hope this helps.
It worked Thank you

That's the plan

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 8, 2018
I know this is a old thread, but I'm having some problems with this, and I'd like to re-open it. So after getting a new PC, I went in and edited the file location in the "gameconfig" folder and set both to my D:/ drive. When opening hammer with tf2 it works perfectly, but when trying to open hammer with half life 2 it gives my the same error as before, except I set the location in both tf2 and half life 2 to be in the D:/ drive, so I'm not sure what the problem is.