Can't find skybox to build cubemaps?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by static2601, May 8, 2011.

1. static2601

static2601 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    i always get this error when trying to buildcubemaps in the map. I compiled the 2fort map after adding a few brushes and it won't buildcubemaps. So, I extracted the skybox sky_tf2_04 and hdr to my materials\skybox folder, recompiled on hdr and it still wont build. Please help. What can I do? I've also tried mat_specular 0 before and after building. And I can't ignore it because it doesn't look right.

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    The skybox-related console errors are normal and don't affect anything, although I don't remember why that happens. The proper procedure for building cubemaps is mat_specular 0; buildcubemaps; mat_specular 1; and, if you want to see your changes immediately, disconnect; mat_reloadallmaterials; map mapname.

3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    It can't find the skybox texture? This is normal, I think thats just a typical error that can be ignored.

But besides that, the way you describe it, you sound like your building cubemaps wrong.

The commands are
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    mat_specular 1
    disconnect
    sv_cheats 1
    mat_reloadallmaterials
    map -your map here-

when you get back into your map, they'll be all built

EDIT: Ninja'd by Seba ...

4. static2601

static2601 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, i just noticed a big lighting difference, when you spawn on 2fort, the corner is alot darker then the original. i could provide a pic if youd like. but from my experience, its from lightmapping being too low on too many surfaces. but i think that might explain why my friend kept saying it looked washed out. any ideas?

5. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    It's most likely the compile options you used rather than the lightmap size; sdk_ctf_2fort.vmf is, AFAIK, pretty accurate to the version Valve worked on.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, you might need to use a "final" compile setting to get the lighting right; it might use more light bounces, which would account for more ambient light reflected into dark corners.

You will also, eventually, need to add -staticproplighting -staticproppolys to your light_exe parameters so the lighting on props and shadows under them are as detailed as possible.

7. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    The reason it can't build cubemaps or whatever is because TF2 skies are rectangular and for the engine to build them automatically they need to be, well, a cube.