Cannot repackage maps on Windows 10 or 11

GigaBite

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2022
Hi everyone,
I've looked around and I can't find a solution to this issue which I'm sure many of you have faced with trying to repackage your maps, so I thought I'd ask for help here.
As part of the criteria for submitting a map for testing as layed out in the map test guide, we need to repack our maps.
The guide on how to do this (https://tf2maps.net/threads/repacking-your-maps.24822/) says to use the BSPZip executable in the tf>bin directory. In order to execute this program, the guide says to shift-right-click in an empty space and select “Open Command Window Here”.
Here lies the problem.
I am running windows 10 on my machine, as I am sure many of you are. The guide for repacking our maps was published in July of 2015. Microsoft has continued to fade out the Command Prompt in favor of changing to PowerShell.
When I shift-right-click, there is no option to "Open Command Window Here”, only "Open PowerShell Window Here". I have tried following the instructions in the guide but doing them in PowerShell instead, but I keep getting an error where the BSPZip is not recognised properly and the command fails to execute.
Previously, I was able to repackage my maps with no problem by opening a Command Window by adding 'Open command window here' to the folder context menu, however I am working off a different machine and doing this is extremely risky as you can potentially brick your machine.

How are people repacking their maps in the current day? What's the best way for a person to repack and compress their .bsp files in Windows 10 or 11?
Thank you.

Solution
You can run bspzip in powershell by starting the command with ./ which signifies that its an executable in the current folder. I have a video from recently where I use powershell to compress the map with bspzip here

Xbmann

aa
Jul 8, 2019
You can run bspzip in powershell by starting the command with ./ which signifies that its an executable in the current folder. I have a video from recently where I use powershell to compress the map with bspzip here

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

GigaBite

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2022
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Your video was helpful, after adding the './' before the bspzip and all that, PowerShell successfully executed the program and my file was repackaged. Much appreciated.
I think that it's worth drawing attention to this issue of “Open Command Window Here” no longer being an option on newer machines, and the older guide published in 2015 needs to be updated, otherwise more people like me can get stuck.