Cannot open my map in Hammer.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Gravidea, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Gravidea

Gravidea L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Once I was finished editing my map last night I saved and went to bed. When I got home today, I decided I'd do some more editing and it turned out that my map wouldn't open... "BasePolyForPlane: no axis". I tried looking up what this fatal error meant, and apparently I had to edit some line of code to fix it? It was hard to understand, so I figured I'd ask about it here. I'll have a screenshot of what happened below. Thanks in advance! Problem.png

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Open your .VMF in Notepad or another text editor. Find every instance of the word "nan" in your file and replace it with a random big number.

3. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    Did this and now this is what happens when I try to load the map... Getting kinda scared because I put a lot of time into this. Screenshot below... Before that it says "Out of memory loading solid." Problem 2.png

4. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    Forgot to mention that my program proceeds to close afterward. Here's the .vmf file if you want to check it out. I don't know what I did wrong...

Attached Files:

5. Twist.vmf

Twist.vmf L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    i got an error like this on an HL2 map, i just deleted the line. but idk if that would work so make a back up

6. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm attaching the fixed version which has 1 invalid solid. The fix was as simple as removing all the remaining "(ind)"s from the file.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    I'll check if it works (which I assume it will) when I return from work. Thank you for your efforts!

8. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    The file you have given me to replace my .vmf works perfectly, and I can now access the map again. You have single-handedly saved my map. Thank you so much. However, when I started the map up, it said a solid was removed. Is there a way to check which one was removed? I've been looking around, and because there's so much space, I can't seem to find it. I just hope it's not a func_ or a useful entity.

As a side note, nobody here has given a clear explanation on what ACTUALLY caused this. Is it the solid that was removed? Did I do something wrong? I really don't want to have to go through this whole process again, or find out that this might mess with my map in the end somehow. It's a little scary to think that my map could just disappear in a moment because Hammer just felt like it. That makes me very scared to use it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    As I already said, there's "1 invalid solid" in the recovered file. Only code professionals may spot a solid with weird planes.
    I don't know. Complex brushes, probably.