Can you stop Engineers building but allow the intel through?

Riever

L2: Junior Member
Nov 25, 2011
Hi,

I want to prevent Engi building in one part of my map - but still allow intelligence carriers through. I don't think I can use func_respawnroom as this drops the intel as well. Is what I'm after even possible?

Thanks in advance.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Use a func_nobuild, but be aware that players not being able to build somewhere for unclear reasons is really frustrating. You'll have to find some way to justify it. For example, not being able to build on a steep roof is alright, or maybe in shallow water, but that might not be what you want to do.

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
Hi yyler,

Many thanks for this - I missed that one.

The area in question is a 1950's style flying saucer. UFO films have always had electronics cut out when one is around - so I hope that this will be acceptable to players. It also stops Engineers camping on the map's last capture point, which is a bit tight as it's inside the UFO.

Still I'm open to other ideas.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I dunno, you might just want to change the gameplay space to accommodate engineers in a way that isn't too spammy and difficult to attack. That'll really alienate engineers on the last point, which is where they are needed most. Remember that they also build dispensers and teleporters, not just sentry guns, which are pretty important.

Riever

Nov 25, 2011
Good point. I suspect that there will be some significant changes between now and the maps actual release. Engineers can still build on the ramps leading into the UFO, just not inside. Right now I'm getting close to being able to release an early alpha so will know if this is a non-starter I guess once some play tests have run.

Many thanks once again.