Can you have dynamic playermodels wear cosmetic items?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by That's the plan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. That's the plan

That's the plan L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    For example, if I wanted to make a prop_dynamic of a heavy player model with a hat on, could I do that? And if so, how?

2. ficool2

ficool2 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    prop_dynamic_ornament is what you want to use

3. Litronom

Litronom L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Player models already have attachment points, so you could use those to parent another prop_dynamic with the model of your desired hat to them.
    [​IMG]

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  4. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    I'm very new, so please excuse this question, but what does "OnUser1" mean? If I just want it to stay on all the time, would I just stick with that? Do I have to set up a command at the beginning of the round that activates that?

5. Litronom

Positive Ratings:
    OnUser outputs get executed, when another entity fires a FireUser input.
    In your case just put those into a logic_auto entity and instead of OnUser1, put OnMapSpawn. It will then fire as soon as the map loads up.

You can also define parent entities in the base properties of your hat prop, but you can't define the "head" attachment there, afaik.

EDIT: Sorry, you totally can do that:
    Separate it by a comma (parent,attachment):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  6. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    This isn't the proper way to do it

Prop_dynamic_ornament properly attaches to the playermodel automatically by using bonemerging, not attachment points. In summary: don't use that attachment method for cosmetics, use the prop_dynamic_ornament entity which is designed for this

7. Litronom

Positive Ratings:
    He wasn't talking about attaching to the player itself, but about a prop_dynamic with the heavy player model.

8. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    He wants to attach a hat to a prop_dynamic heavy, so therefore this needs to be done

Give the heavy prop_dynamic a name
    Create a prop_dynamic_ornament, give it the hat model
    Set its Target Entity to the name of the heavy prop_dynamic
    Done, the hat will now be attached to then heavy properly ingame ( any cosmetic will work )

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. Litronom

Positive Ratings:
    Well at least he now has been shown multiple options on how to achieve what he wants.

10. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    The attachment point option is misleading and I don't recommend going near it: no hat or cosmetic in the game uses attachment points except for the TF birthday hat (who knows why), everything else uses bonemerging (which is what prop_dynamic_ornament achieves)

11. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    Aw, guys, C'mon. You don't need to fight over me! Thanks for the help, I will make sure to use it.

12. Litronom

Positive Ratings:
    Just go with ficool2's option, it will work fine.
    I was working with too much custom stuff lately, so I didn't consider bonemerging affecting the positioning. Disregard what I suggested earlier.

13. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    Don't feel bad, Litronum. To be fair, I would have suggested your method too as I didn't know about prop_dynamic_ornament either. I'm actually doing similar stuff in my MvM map: Specifically getting a robot pyro prop to hold a neon annihilator (guess what that's for), so thanks to that's the plan and ficool for their very pertinent question and answer.