Can tools brushes also act as displacments?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by That's the plan, Dec 4, 2018.

1. That's the plan

That's the plan L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes or no? Any and all answers are appreciated.

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    No. Tool textures do not work on displacements and will appear in-game the same as they do in the Hammer editor without their special properties.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    If that's the case, then how would you put player clip brushes on top of displacements to keep out players if the displacement and the clipping brush don't line up? Also thanks for the reply :)

4. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    I'm guessing you're talking about displacement cliffs. Cut the playerclip brushes to match the displacement as best you can. It's okay if the clip brushes extend slightly into the displacement. For example, in arena_offblast, notice how the clip brushes don't exactly match the displacements, but are somewhat approximated to the shape of the cliff and extended into the displacement to reliably keep players from going out of bounds:
    upload_2018-12-4_19-11-33.png upload_2018-12-4_19-12-6.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you for the help, appreciate it.

6. Narpas

aa Narpas Takes way to long to make and update maps

Positive Ratings:
    Technically, you can use the "Invisible displacement" texture (can be found here below "Invisible") on a displacement and it'll act similarly to a clip brush, but as a displacement. However, What Da Spud Lord said is best practice, and is preferred; only use invisible displacement if you absolutely have to. Also note that if you try to turn a displacement into a brush entity (by ctrl + T or any other way), this will cause the map to not compile

7. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    Fun fact about invisibledisplacement, it's incredibly useful for placing decals on props by lining up the brush face with the model's face, as decals will appear on the face of an invisibledisplacement brush (which does not occur with any other tool textures, to my knowledge).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1