Can someone teach me how to map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ares5566, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ares5566

ares5566 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've tried mapping on multiple occasions and I'm just terrible at it I would really like some help.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Well, do you have some specific questions about mapping, where are you getting frustrated the most?

Have you checked out the VDC or our Tutuorials section? The best thing to do is to ask specific questions about where your stuck. Is it getting the map to compile properly or how to make spawn points... There is a lot of things you need to know, and it takes time and patiece and a lot of practice to get it right.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Just start building shit. Go do all the "first room" tutorials you can see. Build some spawn rooms. Then start recreating areas in maps you like. When you have it down, start getting original.

Thanks, that'll be $450.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    My first map was a box, so yeah... You eventually build up :)

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    It's a cliché phrase but practice makes perfect. Having a tutor may speed up the process but it's not really worth the time of people who struggle to find the time to do level design as a hobby and tutor someone who'll probably drop it after 4 months and not even get paid for it.

Research. Practice. Feedback. Rinse and repeat.

6. ares5566

ares5566 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    non-flat terrain, texturing and just making things look realistic in the first place.

7. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, you really want to focus on gameplay before detailing, that can come later.

Look at grazr's tutorials, they are a great way to tie in architecture and gameplay.

8. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well,
    'non-flat' terrain can mean any number of things.

1: undulating terrain - which would just be bumps on the grounds surface. Look at a displacements tut. You basically 'paint' the bumps in 3d.

2: hills/cliffs. - make them out of brushes and edit verts, or displacements (see above point).

then just practice using those techniques. A lot of mappers have tons of 'unfinished maps'. Stuff we start on, practice techniques, throw away and then work on something better using what we learned.

-----
    Making things look realistic. Well, that's a whole can of worms, a loaded question. Very broad and vague too.
    What things? etc...

Mainly just look at Valve maps, see what they did. Read tuts (a great one is the scale tut, it tells you what dimensions to use for brushes, what heights player can jump, etc...) < really important for good gameplay.

9. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Google is your friend!

10. AngryAngus

AngryAngus L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Firstly you need to know how to use all your tools in hammer like brushes, overlays, displacments, lights, etc etc. Then you can start making good maps!
    Like everyone in this thread has said, just make simple maps that help you to learn.
    "Practice makes perfect."

11. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Bad move charging a flat rate, man. I do $5 per brush.

12. Kerch

Kerch L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    1. Carve sphere from the inside of another sphere
    2. Become a billionaire

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It's funny, actually. This site is known as like the premier TF2 mapping resource, but do we actually have any beginner tutorials? Might be something to consider doing. And then like we could have a big fat "TF2 MAPPING BEGINNERS CLICK HERE!" button on the home page.

14. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    next tf2m contest: write the best beginner tutorial :D

15. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I am working on some video tutorials, but school has gotten in the way.

It was going to be a few tutorials on the GUI, how to make brushes/entity brushes, place entities, etc.

Then i was going to do a "Lets Build [....]" Series *assuming I still had time* ... where I would show how to make the entities for a certain gametype, good gameplay mechanics, etc etc (I wouldn't make the full map)... That might not happen, but I still would need to do a little research for that. I was thinking about doing a CTF map.

16. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    That would be pretty useful. The video tutorials online tend to be either really convoluted or just bad information all together. I watched a series on optimizing brushwork and saw so many things wrong with what he was doing it was driving me nuts.

17. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was actually thinking about doing a similar project. Perhaps we should do a community drive to create some excellent beginner tutorials?

18. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    I think someone should set up a post with links to tons and tons of relevant tutorials. It's kind of a paint digging through the forums when I know what I'm looking for, let alone just trying to find how to do something.

19. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:

There already is one...

But, it needs to be updated, and I think some more comprehensive tutorials need to be created.

I'll make video tutorials as a winter project (hopefully).

20. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    of course we have beginner tutorials otherwise nobody would be making any maps. don't underestimate what people can learn on their own

yes more recent tutorials would be nice but make sure to emphasize the experimentation parts