Can I run bad company 2?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tapp, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've been playing the beta for a few days, and right now I've got it set on low settings, and yet my FPS is currently sitting at 12. I can run tf2 and l4d, even bioshock on high settings comfortably, but bc2 is bogging down my machine. What would you recommend buying/upgrading for the purposes of playing it on medium at least.
    My specs are:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
    2.66GHz
    2GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
    GeForce 9500 GT (I think its NVIDIA)

On a related note, I've noticed that windows defender is taking up heaps of ram. I remember somebody saying that its actually a bug with the program that can be fixed, but I can't find out anything else. Thanks in advance.

2. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    On medium or low, most likely. Your ram is the worst thing there.

3. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think the RAM is the worst thing there. That's a fairly old CPU you got there, is it a first gen dual core, e5300 or something (as opposed to a core 2 duo)?

I know that Bad Company 2 is a fairly CPU intensive program so that might be your issue.

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    you're also describing that you can run 2year old games on this machine. bc2 isnt even out yet. i woudl recommend a core2duo with atleast 4gb of ram.

5. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Oops, look at the GHz, not the type. Yeah, new CPU would be a good idea.

6. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    Sooo, can you point me in the direction of the most financially efficient solution?

7. Naso

Naso L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is one of the first games that I have seen that recommends a Intel Core 2 Quad, most likely because everything is destructible.

Anyway, good thing the Intel Pentium D is a LGA 775 socket type this means you can upgrade to a Core 2 Quad ( or Duo ) if you want.

It all really depends on how much money you are willing to spend, the more money the better.

System Requirements
    • Quad = Recommended
    • Duo = Minimum

Newegg - Best PC hardware site

Personally, I'm going to get the Q9400.

Also for that windows defender problem, you could just disable/delete it and "get" ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  8. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    TYVM :thumbup:
    My budget was $600, because that's what it would have cost to just go ahead and buy a ps3, and from what I'd heard from my apple-worshipping friends the best solution would be $2000. Anyway, is the core processer the only thing that I need to upgrade? Because I believe that I need a newer graphics card as-well, with the newest version of pixel shader or something. Thanks again for the advice!:)

9. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    9500gt should run it ok, not great but ok. If you're running Windows 7 then the new line of ATI cards are a pretty good bet, they're the first cards to support Directx11.

For example, $170 can get you one of theseXFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0. I'm not necessarily suggesting that you should buy this one as I haven't found any reviews of it.

I've been hearing good things about the new 5XX0 ATi cards though, seems like a pretty good move for future proofing.

10. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    well, having seen some of the side-effects of Vista and subsequently windows 7, I'm very hesitant to change over, even if it were for free. That graphics card looks nice, although I always figured my current one was my computer's strong-point. So do I need to upgrade to windows 7, or can I just buy that graphics card up front (sorry if I'm sounding a bit clueless to you, I am).

11. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    You need windows 7 to use DX11. I believe it's possible to force XP to do DX10/.1 if you have the right card. Still, Windows 7 is glorious. There is no reason not to upgrade from XP if you have the money. And still, getting a DX11 card is a good investment anyway in case you do get W7 at some point.

12. Naso

Positive Ratings:
    History repeats it self, even in software.

Windows 2000 / Me = full of bugs and annoyances = Windows Vista

Windows XP = Upgrade and happiness = Windows 7

Also, another 2gb of ram wouldn't be a bad thing, and is cheap. Would just need to know what kind of motherboard you have to see what memory it supports.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  13. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    2000 was good, though

14. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    Being on a $600 budget, I need to know what is/isn't necessary. I'm probably getting the quad-core, out of its pure awesomeness, and the graphics card is a maybe. I'll probably budget in around $80 for RAM, but the most unsettling thing is that windows 7 is $200 at least. That comes to:
    $250+
    $170+
    $80+
    $200=
    $700
    which isn't very far over budget, but still very high. Is there any way I would be able to shave off, mainly in the area of the new operating system and graphics card?

15. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Windows 7 is probably the least needed thing there. But it is good to have.

16. Naso

Positive Ratings:
    Well you don't have to buy Win7, per say... /cough

You could also shave 60$ off if you get the Q9400.

17. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so windows 7 is not necessary, and I see now that it would be worth getting the Q9400. A price tag of $440 is a lot more reasonable, thank you. You are all saviours of my tight funds.
    Edit: In another question, would I be able to donate my remaining CPU and graphics card to a far less fortunate soul who is in need of one? What compatability issues could/would arise?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  18. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Believe it or not, I used windows ME for more than 3 years and I never once got a major bug or annoyance.