can func_detail touch skybox?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Open Blade, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I thought it could not but I was looking through pl_badwater and many of the roofs are func_detail and they touch the skybox. I know some of the other valve maps use displacements for roofs so it's not an issue. Can somebody comment on this? Can do or no can do? My roofs are func_detail and it sure would make it much easier to make it so my skybox can touch them. I know func_detail cannot seal the map, this is for the interior of the map.

Thanks.

2. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure they can touch it, just not touch the void.

3. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    YES. func_detail can touch skybox, and I'm pretty sure they can touch void, coz they aren't real entities.

4. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    func_details can touch a skybox. They can even touch the void, as long as they are not supposed to be plugging the void.

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Last I checked any brush entity can touch the void as long as it's origin (little movable white circle in hammer) is not.

6. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    func_details are also good for visually joining two areas of a map sealed off with skybox. See this crappy diagram for an example, but you can see a lot of instance of this in Goldrush.

skybox and func_detail Using a single func_detail to enhance the look of the join between outdoor "rooms".
    [​IMG]

7. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's exactly how I am intening to do it. That's why I needed to know for sure.

Thanks fellas