Can area portals be used in an outdoor environment?

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
ack nine you really shouldn't make areaportals THAT big (large doorway is really the max size I guess)
Ever checked hydro? There they are the same size as the larger one on his screen and the map doesnt show any fps problems. Still, in his case they most likely get merged making them quite useless

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
But that's exactly what I did :( So if portals can in fact touch displacements, then what the heck is giving me the error?

area portals can touch displacements yes.
they can go through them too.

if you want your areportal to work it will have to go through the displacement, and touch something solid underneath.

basically, displacements don't count towards blocking visibility as far as an areaportal is concerned, so if theres space under the displacement, then you can still get from one side of your areaportal to the other without having to go through it (or another areaportal). that is bad, and something that you have to prevent. so you use nodraw texture on brushes under the displacements, and use them as the walls/floor/ceiling by which you bound your out doors into. aka a large room.