Can a door disappear as it opens?

Vocus_Bidoofi

L1: Registered
Nov 10, 2009
Apologies for what will seem like a noob question, but is there a way for a door to disappear as it opens, essentially so that a door can open upwards, but players won't see the door sticking through the roof of the building the door is built into?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
I don't think thats possible. You could disable the door once its open, but you would still see it while it opens. It's better to increase the building height.

Last edited:

Demonsul

Nov 29, 2009
I think there is a door that runs on animation instead of multiple props. However, you still get the collision of a door above the door, so I would advise clipping the roof of the spawn at least.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You'll have to use the dynamic doors and put up with the invisible door clipping above the building (which shouldn't be a problem since only stray rockets or grenades will hit it at chance). Or you could tell the invisible brush to move downwards, make sure to give it an extra high speed so players don't notice it ingame. You'll probably want a large trigger as well so the animation has time to complete before players collide with the door.

Vocus_Bidoofi

Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I should be able to use the SDK Wiki from here.

Grup

Oct 29, 2009
Another suggestion. I haven't tried this, and it might look odd, but it might look neat too:

Divide your door into horizontal slabs that each move up just until they are up past the top of the door jam. So, the bottom most slab would be moving all the way up. The top most slab would only just move up a little (the height of the slab). You might mess with delays and/or different velocities for the different slabs so that they move together like an actual door would. I'm guessing it would be impossible to make it look like a typical door though.

And here is another suggestion, however, I have no idea if this would work at all, as I have no experience with these entities (someone let me know):

build a door out of a path_track and a func_tracktrain. I'm thinking this would allow you to make something like a garage door that rolls along a track. If you want the door not to be seen when it moves up then have the path_track turn when it is in the ceiling. Anyway, no idea if that will work, as I've no experience w/ path_track or func_tracktrain. Hoping someone else will comment and let us know.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That is a possibility, but it's more effort than it's worth, especially if the mechanics arn't even being seen.

In the case of Goldrush's stage 1 RED spawn door the case is right in the open to be experienced by any player who decides to stand above the door when it opens.

It's a case of priorities, regarding time, effort, and satisfaction.

Valve aren't always right, but they make standards pretty high. If it wasn't worth Valve fiddling over a mechanical door issue, one more disruptive than this, it would be worth considering the fact that it's not worth your extra time either. Especially when you're not being paid for it.

Last edited:

Tehrasha

L3: Member
Nov 5, 2009
My first thought was similar to Grup's.
Divide the door into pieces that will fit into the ceiling.

Whipped up a quickie example....

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmwWMDoGdA"]YouTube- SourceSDK -- Retracting Door[/nomedia]

Last edited: