Camera Effects- DOF, Saturation, Bloom, etc- how to create?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by (s2a) yahodahan, Aug 18, 2009.

1. (s2a) yahodahan

(s2a) yahodahan L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys/gals! I was hoping some wise person hereabouts may know how to go about creating "camera effects"- ie, the same as when going underwater, full screen effects like bloom, DOF, saturation, etc.

I know other engines all this, and obviously it can be done, at least when underwater, so there has got to be a way to simply trigger it at will (via a volume of some sort, I would assume), and to control the exact effect.

Alas, I am not privy to such secrets, and also mercifully untouched by the ravages of intelligence, and so I come to TF2maps.net for help!

thanks!!! Some really fun things could come of this!

2. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So wait.. as in create them on a video or just have them all the time in game?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. (s2a) yahodahan

Positive Ratings:
    thanks rockzo- that needed clearing up. I'm asking in-game, just the same as going underwater does at any time. I just want to create a volume that does the same as water, ie forcing a full-frame effect on the player's view (such as the blurry water effect).

I'm thinking a good way to try this would be via a custom water-type, which I could then tweak the "under water effect" properties of. However, I have no idea where/what those properties are in the VMT file. Or wherever they may be. :)

thanks!

4. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    I suppose you could create custom screen overlays. Although I'm not sure if the entity to use them works in TF2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. (s2a) yahodahan

Positive Ratings:
    custom screen overlays? how does this work? Also, sounds like it would be a special download, like custom HUDS. Or perhaps I misunderstand.

thanks!

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Look into env_screenoverlay and env_screeneffect. I know the former works, never touched the latter. I suspect you can do some, but not all, of the things mentioned.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. (s2a) yahodahan

Positive Ratings:
    sweet! thank you very much all!! will give it a shot tomorow...

I have to ask, if it works, how come no one has used it? Seems like a simple way to subtly (or not at all subtly, haha) tweak the games look. Just curious!

thanks again, off to bed. :)

8. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    I suspect a bunch of those entities weren't really designed to be in a multiplayer game. What use is a magical screen effect if it affects every single player on the entire level? (OK, so that could be a bit useful in TFC Rock remakes, but...)

9. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Someone used a grayscale filter over the screen in the map Spyfort, so yes, it should work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Color_correction.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    This.

You can have triggers to set up the colour correction to only occur in certain places and you can change the colours on the screen. No extra blur though :/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. (s2a) yahodahan

Positive Ratings:
    color_correction! perfect!

that's all I really wanted, thanks FaTony and all! :D