MVM Callous

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012

15px-Pictogram_info.png
Map is currently packed with custom sky and skycards, they may not be present for the contest version
15px-Pictogram_info.png

2 skillsets entry. Includes custom skybox (modified sky_night_01), custom skycards and a custom wall texture (currently unused). Currently not sure whether I'll remove these for the contest entry version, or leave them in and provide a download link for the assets.

Map is based a little on Decoy (especially size-wise), and is built with a city theme in mind.

2 elevator doors are featured at the very front of the map for the bosses.

! Latest Version + Downloads !

Last edited:

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Released map finally in A1, needs testing still alongside the waves
Download

Waves released
Flat download (it's also packed into the map, this is provided that doesn't work)

Last edited:

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Do you have a textured version. One that don't have a dev texture all over it?

Nope, this is for the 2 skillsets contest (first half is layout only, second half is detail). But there will be at least one fully detailed version (the one being from me) during the second half of the contest.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
A2
- Added quick route up from pit (bomb bots not allowed up)
- Added forward upgrade station
- Added cover to lowest of two-rooftop building by tank route
- Modified pickups: Added medium ammo on the lower of the two-rooftopped building next to tank route, changed medium ammo to full ammo forward of dump truck, added medium health next to the changed medium->full ammo pack by dump truck
- Added vent cover on top of roof of middle-most building (the accessible one) (mostly for snipers)
- Added stair route up to 'main' building (with 2 medium health / 1 full ammo)
- Shortened left spawn room size
- Added extra defendable room to side of hatch

- Front-most Left/right bomb arrows don't show simultaneously at all any more
- Tank route no entry sign is now double sided
- Robots are now forced into going a singular route that is decided upon their spawn
- Lit up two dark-ish areas
- Map is slightly lighter
- Heightened a rooftop to better show it's clipped out of bounds

Map download
Mission 1 download (_a2.pop)

Last edited:

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
A3 - 2 skillsets version!
- Removed minor test detail (3d skybox buildings / custom skybox)
- Removed weird clipping by the dumptruck
- Nobuilded some spots sentry busters can't reach

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
So here's a quick summary of everything we thought of during the test:

• Possible to build sentries on top of ventilation, causing sentry busters to insta-detonate
  • You should add more cover to last - possibly a chain fence to ramp before the hole or a crate
  • Make another exit from at least one spawn that leads directly onto the point - it's impossible to push the robots out of the hole area because you have to run past them if the team gets wiped
  • Probably too much health and ammo - but kind of untestable because the popfile wasn't balanced
  • Superscouts should pretty much never go in wave 1, IMO. They often cause surprise losses, which is discouraging on the first round.
  • You should drop money in the last wave to allow buy-ins and canteens
  • The bots AI is kinda weird - the giants have no interest in going back for the bomb if they reach the bombhole. The rule of thumb is that small robots should hang around the hole if they get through, but giants always go back
  • The amount money each wave shouldn't really ramp up to that extent - cap it off at around 1000-1500 or so.
  • I enjoyed the hold further back, but it meant that when you lost it you were instantly forced to defend the bombhole - no inbetween
  • The left bomb route is narrow enough in places - by the fence, on the bridge - that not only can sentry guns block giants (which is fine), but the giants can't path around them - which completely neutralises giant scouts when those routes are taken
  • Please remove the forward upgrade station! It makes 2-way teles even more useless than they already are, and the distance from spawn to the front is already short enough that it becomes unnecessary except for exploitation
  • Wave difficulty was all over the place - waves 1, 3, 7 and whatever that wave was with the single rapidfire crit soldier were far harder than the others.
  • Rapidfire crit soldiers should not reload that fast. please. also, did you increase the damage on the one mentioned above? it seemed that crit resistance was useless
  • On that note, I am not a fan of black box giants. It really pushes the team to have a medic, and that is not something that should be forced. Same goes for health on kill guys. Just my opinion though.
  • Because of the design of the map, the route the bots take strongly affects the difficulty of the wave. Compare it to Decoy, where each side is almost identical. The ability to block certain paths with a sentry affects this, and the fact that only the left route has access to the trench does as well.
  • On that note, I'd add some railings on that trench, similar to decoy. It wastes so much bot time that it becomes a bit too powerful
  • Robot spies can get into the spawn, apparently.
  • Because of the size of the map and the lack of a decent hold after the start, teleporters are almost useless. Bear that in mind?
  • The tank route was... interesting. I personally think a shorter tank route over the bridge would have been better, assuming that those tanks had less health as well. This is because, like the heavy in ordinary play, the tank is supposed to be the center of the robot offensive. Making it take a side route defeats that purpose.
  • Add another rock formation or equivalent at bot spawn, to act as a safeground for red spies. All the cool kids are doing it
  • Don't forget spotlights and stuff to highlight the important parts of the map. I know it's supposed to be night time, but that doesn't mean it has to be dark!

Having said all of that, I think we all enjoyed the layout of the map. The holds were fun, the sentry spots - where they didn't trap the robots - were well thought out, but not so blindingly obvious as to provide some variations from round to round. It's nice to play on a smaller MvM map again, and I feel like the map is very promising.

I'd really recommend you continue balancing this map despite the fact that you submitted it to the contest and is thus "no longer fixable". It has a lot of promise, but it needs a lot of work to pull it off. If I were to make some big changes to the map, I would suggest:

• Expanding the trench to the other side of the building, and put some railings around it.
  • Widen the bridge, remove the boxes, center it on the trench and make it the new tank route. In order to fix the new sightline presented, add another tanker of hut for the robots to path around
  • It'd be possible to turn the right hand route into an alternate tank route, I reckon
  • I like the anteroom next to the bombhole, so why not make more of it? Make it larger so that there is more room to rotate around, and increase the door and window size to make it more accommodating for hanging out

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
So here's a quick summary of everything we thought of during the test:

• list

Thanks for all this. I don't intend to update this anymore after the 2 skillsets contest, but I'll keep everything in mind for next time I do an MvM map.

Last edited: