Calling all Euros (with radio)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Erich, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Erich

Erich L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    If you're reading this, thank you for giving the time to view this thread. I am part of the community that has given the time to monitor the semi-notorious UVB-76/MZhDB. Despite it not being a number station, and rather a russian military district transmission, we still do monitor it. And the transmission site has changed; in reality it's multiple sites now. And to figure out where these are, we have to triangulate the source of it. To do that, we need many, many different sources across Europe. So, I need to ask of you who have radios, or know someone who has a radio, to consider helping out. If there are 100 of you, and only 1 or 2 people do it, it'd be worth it.

For you who can't, you still can check up on the triangulation project here.

2. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
  3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I don't understand where we begin to help out. We havn't been told what to do or how to do it.

4. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    So is this a pirate station or something?

5. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    More like a secret as fuck Russian Government broadcast.

That's from Cracked, and Wikipedia presents the rest of the facts in neutral, cited glory.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    I remember this creeping me out. Thanks for reminding me. :(

7. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    If there is something the russian military doent want me to know, i dont want to know it. Me and the russian military have a trust-based relationship, and, as of yet, i've never had polonium 210 in my lunch. The system works.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Heh, they had episode of Fringe based on this and that is where i first heard about this, petty cool if you ask me, but like swordfish says, if Russians don't want us to know about it, we don't want to know about it, so why dig around something we don't want/need to know?

Still, cool stuff.

9. Erich

Erich L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Wikipedia is a horrible source, as the person in charge of the page refuses to let findings by the community to count as a legitimate source. But yes, it's part of a string of secret radio stations the russian military uses. They aren't encrypted, though; the 5-10 radio operators we've heard have most probably used a codebook. No book, no idea.

A guide to building the antenna is available through a link here.

You'll need any radio with shortwave capability for that antenna. UVB-76/MDZhB's frequency is 4.625MHz.

Some other links related to UVB-76 would be the following soundclouds of Webweasel, PresentedIn4D, and Danix111. They all also do a podcast series found here. Interesting stuff if you have a few hours to kill.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  10. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    Who's Dimitri? They seem to be talking about him a lot :p

11. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings: