[Call for Help] cp_1024 (lots of pictures)

nfreader

L1: Registered
Sep 30, 2008
Hi.

I'm working on a map called cp_1024. The basic premise is that it's a linear (Dustbowl) three control point map within an area of 1024x1024x1024. So far, I think it works pretty well. The execution isn't flawless and of course there are going to be balance issues, but I'm going to keep trying anyways. This is my first "real" map.

And now... pictures!

EDIT: Should have mentioned: No in-game renders (yet, horrible lighting) and no over-head view (doesn't really work for a vertical map :\ )
blu_spawn.png

BLU spawn

first.png

First floor (BLU spawn is underneath that pipe

second.png

Second floor.

third.png

Third floor. The capture point is behind the ramps.

red_spawn.png

RED spawn exit ramp. The bars under the skylight cast these cool (if blocky) shadows.

red_spawn_2.png

And a prop room in RED spawn. I'm proud of this part :D

Now you're probably asking yourself something along the lines of "Wait, only TWO ramps per floor? Is this guy nuts?"
Maybe I am, but I think I've solved those problems.

exits.png

Little exit holes! They're staggered so you can choose what floor you get off on. Perfect for spies! The top one has a func_nogrenades brush over it to keep BLU demomen from getting RED spawners. It doesn't work though, so I may have to put a horizontal door in place.

Of course, I break things. All the time. So Hammer is no exception to this rule. I've got two doozies of a problem for you:

Number 1: overlays/noentry. I've got it placed across a func_respawnroomviasualizer with the other five surfaces painted with nodraw. But in the 3D view, it shows up as a solid white texture. Which means I can't place the symbol where I want it. Instead, RED players get to see six of them.

noentry.png

That's what it looks like in Hammer (it looks fine, but off center in game).

Number 2: info_overlay. They're not displaying correctly in hammer or in game.

Here's what happens when I try to place a BLU logo overlay:
overlay1.png

And here's where the logo actually ended up:
overlay2.png

Trying again, here's where the logo ends up:
overlay3.png

And in-game:
overlay4.png

Yes, I am using the texture overlay tool.

Last edited:

Cerulean

L3: Member
Sep 12, 2008
For the nogrenades thing... I think there is a weapon clip brush that blocks all bullets (not sure about players though)

Edit:

And for the white thing on the spawn door overlays, I just tried it. I noticed it only did it for shaded texture mode (so click the top left on camera, and change it to just "textured")

Last edited:

tenaciousg

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2008
unique concept indeed, i'm afraid you'll limit alot of possibilities and creativity aswell as limiting the capabilities of certain classes but it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

goodluck!