C_Infiltration A2

Infiltrate the BLU base in a single player match, death is failure, and it's 54 to 1.

1. That Guy On The Left

That Guy On The Left L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    C_Infiltration - Infiltrate the BLU base in a single player match, death is failure, and it's 54 to 1.

-The first in my series of Campaign maps in TF2.
    -Designed as a one player, or potentially a cooperative, experience. With many environmental kills put in to find and use.
    -Map has four different outcomes depending upon how the objectives are followed.
    -Comes with vmf for dissection and constructive criticism at a programming level.

This map is still in alpha, though it is leaps and bounds ahead of its earlier version, it features some bugs to watch out for, including:
    -Bots immediately coming back at their spawn point, on RED team.
    -Since the last part of the map requires the player to stand on a func_tracktrain, TF2 may clip them into it, or fling them out, clips around the train have been made to try to remedy this, it's advised to stay away from the back.
    -If the detonator is used at the very end of the map, the game may kill the player at random, I have been working hard to isolate what's causing this, it may be an oversight in a large trigger_hurt that's meant to clear out all BLU bots before the round resets.

• Like Like x 5
  2. A Moderately Priced Shoe

A Moderately Priced Shoe L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    There already is a map named Infiltration. It's made by DonutVikingChap.

3. That Guy On The Left

Positive Ratings:
    Well! Right you are, thank you for the head's up, though I don't think I'll change the title of the map unless asked specifically by him.

4. Contra

Contra L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so, feedback:
    • autobalance can be enabled after dying a few times and totally screw up the map
    • the BLU base in the later stage has overkill bloom from a distance, and an issue with its window textures
    • it's not clear what class(es) you want us to play in this map- I did Spy, because its name was infilitration, but there were a lot of direct combat rooms that seemed to go against that design philosophy
    • I had a lot of trouble searching for environmental cues, especially since some of them are innocous props in other maps
    that being said this is an interesting concept, and I can't wait to see where it goes. the map working as intended + sexy detailing + class-oriented maps could really innovate what TF2 mapmaking can do, imo.

5. Infomaniac

Infomaniac L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Campaign maps? That sounds interesting. I might put my 5 cents in.

6. That Guy On The Left

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, thanks a lot for your feedback guys, I might have a strategy to fix the window blooms for the final base, I'm posting up a long running project later today or tomorrow on the next campaign map, sorry it's been less than a year since I've said something, been too busy making TF2 shitposts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    You really should regardless. People often refer to maps by just their names, not including the gamemode, so they're bound to get confused.

8. That Guy On The Left

Positive Ratings:
    Fair enough, mind if I wait to do it until I update the map? You know, get a new version up and running? (whenever that will be) Aaaand... Any recommendations? Not the best with naming.

9. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    On a server with some SourceMod plugins to address certain bugs and such, this would be cool.

Fairly certain you can parent the player to the train with entity inputs in the map itself, but a SourceMod plugin can accomplish the same thing and it shouldn't fling the player around. As well, you can hook into the player's movement inputs and detect when they're jumping, and unparent the player from the train. There's plenty of ways to address this.

A plugin could also handle the spawning of bots along with what weapons they use and what attributes those weapons have (TF2Items extension needed for the weapon spawning/attributes). It could be a fix for the bot spawn issues. It'd even allow for the customization of the bot models, and applying cosmetics to the bots for example.

Obviously, these ideas all hinge on someone setting up a 24/7 this map server and making SourceMod plugins to enhance/fix things.

I've actually been pondering the possibility of a campaign mode (or any kind of story mode) in TF2 for a couple months now. My idea, like my suggestions above, consists of using a combination of mapping and SourceMod plugins. I've just never actually done any proof of concept work.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  10. That Guy On The Left

Positive Ratings:
    I've NEVER tested a setparent on an !activator prompt! You might have it, there.

11. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    You can parent pretty much any thing to any other thing. The issue is the player is stuck in the spot you parented them to the train on, and can't move or dodge if there's enemy fire along the way. Plus, the unparenting at the end of the trip. Perhaps you could set up a func_button that the player can push to parent themselves to the train, and where they get parented, put another button in front of them to unparent themselves maybe?

12. That Guy On The Left

Positive Ratings:
    I just had the idea for a minecart C_ map reminiscent of oddworld: stranger's wrath, (obscure, I know.) where one would be parented to three carts, one with a dispenser and a level 1 sentry, and one where another player could post up, and would go through a lengthy track before ultimately being launched off, in theory, the unparenting could be done with "'setparent''!activator'" with nothing written in the parameters, and if that doesn't work, the track_train the player is parented to can be deleted at the end.

13. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Obscure? Are you kidding me? I love that game! I can do the voice of a chicken person saying something like "Howdy stranger! Welcome to the bounty store!" (I think it was called the bounty store).