CP bymasog

Masog

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2012
This is my first TF2 map made in about 5 hours. I just don't have ideas anymore. I think that what I've done is enough to upload it here.
This map needs teamplay or it's really hard to win the round.
Snipers should kill everybody...
Spies should kill Snipers...
Pyro... :D

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
The entire map is reeeeaaaaaaally big and open and it's all nothing but huge corridors, with massive sightlines and no cover whatsoever, linking into eachother with one gigantic room in the middle. Also everything seems a bit dark.

Of course, this being your first map it won't really be very good, and that's just the way it works (my first map was a heathen to map makers everywhere). I suggest you scrap this one and start over again, studying official maps and incorporating Valve's/community map makers' techniques into your own map. There are plenty of tutorials on the site to help you make high-quality maps, as well as VMFs of official maps included in the Source SDK which you can study, taking into account things such as area sizes and flanks and whatnot. And who knows, maybe in the future you'll make the next big community map!

Masog

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for the tips, Jeremy.
As is wrote, this is my first TF2 map, but not first in Source Engine. I've been mapping about 2 years to Counter Strike:Source. TF2 has really weird graphic and I just don't get how to make a good looking map to it :D

This map has to be big and open, because i thought it will be better in TF2 (I am a new player in this game, so idk exactly how gameplay works here).

I am now trying to make a pl_ map. I will try to use your tips in it.

Thanks.
Masog.
(sorry if I made any mistakes)

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Big and open means snipers and other classes that can peform well in long open spaces will dominate everything while rest of the classes (for example, heavy) will be useless.

If you want to know how to make TF2 maps look good, i suggest you take a look at all official maps and read few articles we have on this site. (For example: Yyler's lighting guide and Base Facades by Grazr )

You also don't want to worry too much about detailing in alphas, use dev textures and such because you are going to need to change a lot of things and having no detail work done yet means it is going to be much smoother.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
I have to ask - with all those lights - what's you current entity count?