Building height questions

Mung

L1: Registered
Jun 27, 2019
Hey,

I'm making a map, and I'm trying to have a large building that you're not supposed to see the top of, kinda like the giant warehouse buildings on pl_badwater second, but I can't decide on a height that makes the top inaccessible but doesn't make it stick out too much on the scenery.

I've decided to make it 621 hammer units tall, but it still kinda seems too big.

Should I just make everything taller or is there another height I can make the building?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Making a building about 384 units taller than its surroundings is generally tall enough to make it feel inaccessible. It also depends on how many other nearby buildings are also that height - a single building with no neighbors will need to be taller than a full row of buildings, since a row of tall buildings feels like a level boundary while a single building is just an obstacle in the middle of an area.

Also, I would recommend making use of Hammer's grid and using larger grid sizes. Keeping all of your major brushwork aligned to a grid size like 32, 64, or even 128 will make your life a lot easier. My earlier measurement of 384 is just 128 x 3.

Mung

L1: Registered
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks, I’ll try that! I was reading a bunch of scaling guides but they never gave me a clear answer like you did