Bugs, Glitches, and Spots on Valve Maps

S

saph

Valve can be great, but sometimes, they cane lazy or not notice some mistakes. So far, I found two mistakes in official maps. The first is on Upward by BLU's second spawn (in the tunnel). As you can see, I'm stuck on the post above the ground. I just jumped up. You cannot move once you get up here. I found this by backstabbing a bot that was stuck.
y2AW9Vn.jpg

In Hammer, the player clip is flush with this post, but it extends farther out on the post to the right.
nWP5Y2e.jpg

The second one I found is outside the spawn on ALL versions of Sawmill. This one is more obvious, but it's a fun spot to sit. I rocket jumped up to here.
5AqDuF6.jpg

The reason this one happens is more obvious. In Hammer, you can see that the ledge I'm on sticks out. Maybe this'll become a new Engineer spot to relax on the ranch.
SjBQRAU.jpg

If you guys find any bugs, glitches, or awesome spots on Valve maps, feel free to post them below. Crash, their clipping will drive you nuts.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Not really sure if these two count as Valve maps, but they are official.

X3F1Hy3.jpg

There's a visible nodraw right here on stage 2 of Nightfall.

wsyNmNM.jpg

And there's a seam in the displacements here in the tunnels on both sides, also on Stage 2.

hOq9Zx0.jpg

zJDvGqb.jpg

And on stage 3 we have a clip brush where a prop used to be.

Then of course there's the bug where the carts disappear on Stage 3 if they reach the end of Stage 2 at the same time, which I was unfortunately unable to recreate.

Now for some pretty well documented issues on Steel.

autfwwX.jpg

There's no blockbullet brush over this building, so demomen can fire stickies directly into BLU spawn.

rUi0wRC.jpg

Engineers can build directly in front of the resupply cabinets in BLU spawn, which lends itself to a whole plethora of exploits that could be easily fixed by putting down a couple of nobuilds.

LKM2zMR.jpg

Pyros can rather infamously shoot flames through this door before it opens, which could very easily be fixed by...

S5w5mYW.jpg

Putting a closed door here at the start of the round. I'm surprised that they haven't just gone ahead and done this after 7 years.

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Not really sure if these two count as Valve maps, but they are official.

-snip-
There's a visible nodraw right here on stage 2 of Nightfall.

-snip
And there's a seam in the displacements here in the tunnels on both sides, also on Stage 2.

-snip snip-
And on stage 3 we have a clip brush where a prop used to be.

Then of course there's the bug where the carts disappear on Stage 3 if they reach the end of Stage 2 at the same time, which I was unfortunately unable to recreate.
wow psy, so bad.
b1

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
There's the infamous wrong-colored chair in Nucleus. I forget if it's in both versions or just one, and if so which one, but it's pretty blatant.

We used to have a whole thread dedicated to these, but I can't be assed to find it. Most of the images are probably broken anyway because people tried to host them on private websites or Dropbox accounts that eventually got purged, or Imageshack.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Most of the images in that thread are dead, though. Might as well keep this one alive.

And let us hope people host to a place like imgur or something similar.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
The floating door motor? That shit is in almost every map ever. Gravelpit, Granary, Upward, Thunder Mountain, Viaduct, you name it.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Doesn't mean it's not a mistake.

Mar 23, 2013
HL2 texture and misaligned door in Granary:
Computers with no collision in Junction:
6KAABQn.jpg

These are even prop_dynamic for no reason.
And the whole map has not a single area portal even if it is perfect for those. The map didn't even use hint/skip or fade on props. No optimisationat all. If you enter Point B, the trains behind point C are rendered

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I think it would be swell if Hammer told you about dev faces that still existed in a map after compiling. It would help you track down opportunities to clean up your map.

Edit: sorry about the edit, accident. -Crash

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I think it would be swell if Hammer told you about dev faces that still existed in a map after compiling. It would help you track down opportunities to clean up your map.

The replace function can do this. Hit it, browse for materials, filter for dev. It'lll show you every one you've used on the map. I like to replace them all with nodraw when I get near the end of development. Fly around the map and look for bright yellow.

Or miss it and get made fun of for having a visible nodraw on your map.