buckbasin

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
I'm taking a break from the mapping contest for a short while so I can play soda more before changing anything.

In the meantime, I've decided to embrace the superb Swamp Expansion pack and make myself a damp and muddy payload map. I've always fancied making a payload map as I like the gamemode - and I think it will be a challenge.

Based on this place [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reelfoot_Lake[/ame]

Here's a pic of the first (currently being ripped apart) stage of pl_buckbasin. The other 2 stages are far less linear, on paper it looked OK - but in game it's not worked well.

I had an alpha of it to upload, then realised the stage was too linear and boring - so i'm in the middle of ripping it apart. I wanted to post here early this time though - as I'm texturing more than i ever usually do as i go - to keep in the right frame of mind, and because it's fun. Would be good to get feedback from the off. New layout will be posted up later :)

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Is the middle stolen from Aurora? :p

Looks good so far, but it seems like putting the track almost entirely on water is going to discourage pyros entirely.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
The mapname was taken.

But technically, is valid, because there were no Alphas of Reelfoot.
smug.gif

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
oops - such a n00b! sos. can someone move this to the normal maps section?

ah - did a search for the name and couldn't find one - glad to hear it wasn't made :)

oh, and the water is more cosmetic - being as it's a swamp - it's actually only knee high at most, lower in places, and doesn't extinguish.

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
oops - such a n00b! sos. can someone move this to the normal maps section?

ah - did a search for the name and couldn't find one - glad to hear it wasn't made :)

oh, and the water is more cosmetic - being as it's a swamp - it's actually only knee high at most, lower in places, and doesn't extinguish.

But there was. Mainline. Used to be Reelfoot.

To be honest, it didn't have the best reputation, so, a namechange is in order.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I don't think you took a breath since you picked up the SDK source =)

Massive improvements each map those Colt, really.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
See you're already using the "Swamp Theme" for your map!
It looks great, I look forward to play it on one of the local servers... (and to see the Payload SPLASH at the end point...! [Yes I can see the end point is in water...])

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
Yeah :) Loving the swamp theme. Had a mammoth session last night and ripped the first stage apart a little before moving my stage 2 blocks accross. i'm using half of the inital stage 1 in stage 2, and moving the route so it flows round the map area better. Here's where I am so far. Stage 2 is in a slightly more built up area as we approach Red's base (the original stage 1 final bit). Stage 3 takes place in the void - which will be styled as far as possible to resemble pure swamp (i'll be using displacements and folliage for cover, with prop work), until the final point. Here's hammer at this time:

rippedapart.png

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
cheers 8)

Found a great pic i'm gonna use in game :) I've changed the Skybox to fever and it looks much more as I wanted - not soo gloomy. I figured i'm gonna be spending a long time making this and the last thing I need is a depressing view each time I open it to test - plus, it brings me much closer to the style in this pic :p

PgFID.jpg

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
I know - sorry, I broke the map and ripped it apart. Should be a new download in the next day or so. You'll thank me ;) It's a much better layout.

lockitup

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2009
so this is your new map eh? looks good of course! Will be seeing some time on our server if its REALLY good ;).

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
I've been taking my time, doing portions of work on paper rather than hammer. Here's hammer so far. Landscaped enough for my building layout to work. Just about to start addding the buildings and then track....alpha 1 with all three stages should be along soon.

I've found it challenging to create the atmosphere i want, without making it into a pretty dull map. Mainly because I didn't want any fighting to happen around rocks - as it would not help the theme which is swamp/lake.

There is very little water that isn't walking height - ie below knees, as i've raised the bed alot. Where there is a large pool, it will be clearly marked and obvious - although it's easy to get out as the deep bits are not wide.

Can't wait to get it out for a playtest so i can get some ideas if the layout has any promise.

The build up areas are (from top left, clockwise), Stage 1 points a&b and Stage 3 point b. The void is to be filled with stage 2a 2b and 3a
pl_buckbasin_prealpha0000.jpg

pl_buckbasin_prealpha0001.jpg

pl_buckbasin_prealpha0002.jpg

pl_buckbasin_prealpha0003.jpg

pl_buckbasin_prealpha0004.jpg

pl_buckbasin_prealpha0005.jpg

pl_buckbasin_prealpha0006.jpg

Last edited:

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
i've been trying to get it to compile for 24 hours :/

Think i'm gonna do a fast vis, + hdr release because vvis sticks at 9...

Optimised - well, some large hint brushes and areaportals though more to do, but it's reporting huge amounts of area portal leaks - which is bizarre as they are all grid perfect. I've used the filter so only the world brushes showed - to check I wasn't being dumb and trying to seal with func_detailed stuff. At a loss :( oh well, I HAVE to get some gameplay feedback - i've gone far too far with the map already with no confirmation the layout works (got carried away).

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Areaportals need to separate whole sections. No areaportal can leak into another areaportal.