BSPzip/pakrat not embedding properly....it seems... hLeP!

Resistance

L2: Junior Member
Mar 24, 2009
Alright, the first think I did was compile my map

went in game did
mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
mat_specular 1
disconnected
reloaded materials
went back in game to confirm it worked.

This worked just fine.

2nd thing I did. Opened Pakrat, chose my map, hit auto, it picked up my 2 custom textures both vmt and vtf files. Hit save bsp.

Renamed my textures in the folder, that way I could confirm if the embedded ones would work when i go in game.

The custom textures just show up as purple/black textures and I also get "Failed, using default cubemap 'engine/defaultcubemap".

I also did decided to try BSPzip since Pakrat didn't seem to be working. I went to the bspzip folder in the command window, then did these commands:

bspzip -addfile "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp" "materials/color_red1.vmt" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\team fortress 2\tf\materials\color_red1.vmt" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp"

bspzip -addfile "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp" "materials/color_red1.vtf" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\team fortress 2\tf\materials\color_red1.vtf" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp"

bspzip -addfile "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp" "materials/color_blue1.vmt" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\team fortress 2\tf\materials\color_blue1.vmt" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp"

bspzip -addfile "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp" "materials/color_blue1.vtf" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\team fortress 2\tf\materials\color_blue1.vtf" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steamapps\mukerjason@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_halloflife_b3.bsp"

So I once again renamed the textures in my folders to see if the embedded ones would appear in game. They did not. It did the exact same thing again with showing the textures as black/purple and coming up with the "Failed, using default cubemap 'engine/defaultcubemap".

Any help is appreciated.

Resistance

Mar 24, 2009
Hmmm 1 other problem that may be causing it.....

While the compile log shows no leaks, I am getting this error:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1830.0 1164.0 104.0)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 202818:"

It still seems to compile , look fine in game, runs the cubemaps just fine. Could this be the problem why the textures aren't embedding and the cubemap error comes up after running bspzip/pakrat?

Update: That error is fixed, the only other error I have is

"*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_night_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_night_01 to build the default cubemap!"

Could this cause a problem? I put it into interlopers but it just said the same thing as the error message....

Last edited:

Resistance

Mar 24, 2009
Update again: Switched to the badlands skybox and am not getting that error message now, so I'm free of all error messages, i'll try compiling/buildingcubemaps/ and running Pakrat or BSPzip again and let you know.

Must be the skybox I was trying to use is not valid for TF2? Even though that's the one I believe is from plr_pipeline?

Resistance

Mar 24, 2009
Alright, When I ran Pakrat this time, It picked up the cubemaps this time, although I still get the "Failed, using default cubemap 'engine/defaultcubemap" error when running the map, the cubemaps show up and my reflections are fine and not purple/black anymore.

However.... My textures are still purple/black even though Pakrat picked them up when I hit "auto" button.

edit: I just noticed that in the Pakrat log it says it saved it to ctf_halloflife_b4.bsp.bak , so it actually saved it as a .bak file instead of a .bsp? I don't understand this.

Edit: I guess the .bak stands for backup? is this the original map or the ones with the embedded textures?

update: Just opened the .bsp (the one without the .bak), with Pakrat and it shows the custom textures without having to hit Auto button, so the .bak must be the original one, but the new one didn't get the embedded textures..... welll guess i'll try Packbsp then.

Last edited:

Resistance

Mar 24, 2009
MY GOD, I FIGURED IT OUT. Apparentely when you compile your map gets saved into the tf/maps Folder as well as the sourcesdk_content folder? I was using Pakrat on the map in the sourcesdk content folder, but when you go in game it only looks at the maps in tf/maps folder!

I REALLY wish there was some documentation to actually SAY to make sure to save your map to the tf/maps FOLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe more people haven't run into that problem.

DrummerX

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2009
I actually did not know it saved to the sourcesdk_content folder, heh. Maybe this'll help other mappers out there.

Your map auto gets saved at two places when compiled, location of the vmf and in the maps directory for the game/mod (if hammer is set up to do so, it is by default by all valve games.) So i'm assuming you have your vmf saved int eh sourcesdk_content folder then, eh?