Brushes refusing to move self on grid. (Snap to grid is on)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Lord Ned, May 14, 2008.

1. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last time this happened, the only fix was to re-install. I'm NOT DOING THAT AGAIN. I'm gonna find a effing fix even if it kills me.

Basically the thing is: I take some on grid brushes, nice and simple, squares, whatever.

Shift + duplicate them up.

Oh hey Ned, Guess what. WERE GONNA BE STUBORN AND STICK TO .5 OFF ANY GRIDLINE.

What. The. Fricking. Heck.

They "Snap" when i move them, but they are snaping to .5 off the grid. If I scale them up (Dragging the box) it snaps to a full one.

Also have refreshed SDK Content, extra.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. R3dRuM

R3dRuM L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try these three possiblitys

-Right click > snap to grid

-Click the Grid enable button on the top left near increase and decrease grid size

-Expand from the 0.5 to the closest grid

3. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    A- Nope. Stays where it is.
    If it's .5 off, and the grid doesn't go there... :/

You think I want to Expand it EVERY SINGLE BRUSH. I found a quickfix by closing hammer + SDK, deleting sourcesdk folder, restarting SDK, but that still takes time.

Will someone play around with diffrent thickness arches all 32 sides and see if you get any of these problems?

4. Half-Life_Maniac

Half-Life_Maniac L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Possibly related- I often notice my brushwork appearing 1 unit different than it should be. Obviously I'm making these things with grid size 16 or so- never 1.

Can't say whether or not this occurs when shifting brushes as you say right now. I'll have to keep my eye out.

All I know is Source Hammer is notorious for this kind of nonsense. Vertex manipulation is another place where this kind of rubbish happens - hammer not merging vertices when you clearly move them on (what looks like) the same spot on the grid.

5. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    :argh: Hammer. Might send a email into valve if i can peg down the problem.

6. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    As i said in a previous post yesterday bud, this is why Arches.. are bad. *along with carve*

Use vertex and save yourself any trouble.

7. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Quiet you. >: (

I was just thinking about arches and then your post that I read. :bored:

Still, even with using arches to get the guide right, then cutting a square brush and vertex editing into the right design it comes out exactly the same.

8. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    I do that sometimes.

I make an arch, then go right next to it and start placing brush by brush vertexing each so it follows the same bend/look of the arch.
    The biggest difference this way though is that your vertex arch will ALWAYS be on grid, easy to change/add/delete and not give you any weird 64.1x16.. i hate the . stuff those tools make =(

9. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    I never end up with any .1's. I always try to do arches early on a map, when i'm in the "Lets stay on a grid above 16" stage. (Too bad I say "OH! This would look great here! *grid size 1* Oi! This is too hard to add on to. *Giveup*)

10. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    My gripe is that sometimes after saving and reopening, it mangled pretty complicated vertex work. Everything was to grid, too, and it took a long time to do. *shake fist*

I also hate how not only does vbsp complain about non-planar quadrilaterals (which is understantable), but it also complains about co-planar triangles on the same brush! So if you're doing a surface that has very slight curvature, you'll never know when you need to keep a face a quad or make it 2 triangles until you're done. *more fist shake*

That hollow cone was a pain to do... In the end I just decided to live with the vertex mangling.

11. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    The best option:
    Make your arch in Hammer, perfect it.

Save the VMF, then import it into XSI Mod Tool. Delete extra faces, compile as model.

SEMI-OFFTOPIC:
    Can you change the speed at which the cart in goldrush moves forwards? (So you could make it go slower through mud? (Say one "Speed" is now a Half Speed?"

Some sort of muliplyer or something?

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  12. FunWithGamesPL

FunWithGamesPL L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Press SHIFT+W

13. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Did you really bump a 10 year old thread

14. FunWithGamesPL

FunWithGamesPL L1: Registered