Brushes in decompiled maps seem to extend much further than necessary

The Tiny Desk Engineer

L1: Registered
Jul 19, 2021
I'm looking at a decompiled version of d3_citadel_01 from hl2 to make a citadel-themed map for tf2, but it's really hard to figure out how big certain features are supposed to be, since the brushes in just the first interior corridor in the original map seem to be way too big. They extend ridiculously far up and down for how little actually gets seen. Is this a problem with decompilation or is there a reason for the original map to be like this?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
In my experience and to my knowledge, brushes rarely change dimensions when a map is decompiled. Are you using the latest version of BSPSrc to decompile?

It's possible that's how the map was built. If the level designers were building it to a deadline, and the map was not very large, they could afford to be a bit wasteful. There may be technical reason for it that's not obvious, such as visibility, or it could be left over from an earlier version of the map. Without being familiar with the map, I can't say.

The Tiny Desk Engineer

L1: Registered
Jul 19, 2021
Oh, I just realized that some of the brushes are so big because they were copied from another detail brush that was much bigger. Still doesn't explain why the world brushes for the floors, ceilings and walls are so thick, though.

TF2CutContent

Banned
Nov 26, 2010
Oh, I just realized that some of the brushes are so big because they were copied from another detail brush that was much bigger. Still doesn't explain why the world brushes for the floors, ceilings and walls are so thick, though.
They can be as thick as you want them to be. Maybe Valve decided to make them extra thick?