Brushes Getting Messed up When Reloading Map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by asiagoUnicorn, Jun 4, 2015.

1. asiagoUnicorn

asiagoUnicorn L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Whenever I reload my map some of the brushes get a little bit messed up.

Imgur won't embed in the preview, so I'm playing it safe and linking instead.

Before I reload, all those little edges are squared up and look great. Afterwards, though they get moved slightly off. I'm pretty sure my brushes are convex when they're in the right positions, so I don't think that's the problem. Of course, they could just be ever so slightly convex and I'm just missing it.

2. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Are they on the grid?

3. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Invalid brush ?

4. asiagoUnicorn

Positive Ratings:
    Pre-reload, yeah all the points are on the grid. After, the one point that gets moved isn't.

I'd assume so, I'm just trying to figure out why.

5. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Position the vertices how you want them, and then open up the problems dialog with Alt+P. If it finds an invalid solid, you'll have to fix the vertices or remake the brush.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. asiagoUnicorn

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, it appears to be invalid for some reason. I'll just mess around with it until it isn't.

Also, thanks for introducing me to the problems dialog! It probably would have been useful to have known about it ages ago. :/

7. asiagoUnicorn

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I have no idea why this is a valid structure, but this isn't.

8. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    A brush will be invalid if it has a non-flat face, i.e. one of the vertices that makes up the face is on a different plane than the others.

Now for your first image - let me try my best to explain this - even though this vertex seems out of place, the face is still valid because the edges in the top view are not all perfectly parallel either. In this quick example, you can see that after a cut in the top view, the sides are no longer even, but it will also result in a new vertex (circled in green) that's a little higher than the old one, because it's further up on the slope. That's basically what's happening here.

In the second screenshot, that new vertex has been lowered to the grid, but the edges in the top view are still uneven. Moving that vertex caused the previously flat face to become invalid. Does all that make sense?

Anyway, if you need an angled ramp in your map, I would strongly suggest sticking to 45 degree angles like in my example. It's much easier to spot misaligned vertices and keep everything on the grid that way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. asiagoUnicorn

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I think I've got it. Also, it seems that as long as I only move the midpoints of each line on the brush, I can keep everything nice and parallel, regardless of angle or orientation.

10. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    It looks counter-intuitive, doesn't it. I'm glad Killo can get his head around it 'cause it's hard for me.

Am I right in thinking that, in the image below, the shape is invalid because the two green lines are not parallel?
    [​IMG]
    If moving the two indicated verticies to the right made them parallel, would that clear the error? I have a rule of thumb when rotating shapes on the grid and messing with vertices afterwards that lines should be kept parallel, but I don't know if it's true enough to bleat it at people.

11. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Just keep your face flat and everything will be ok, if your face is divided by two triangles but are part of the same face, then your brush is invalid and in this case you just have to cut that face in two triangles, when it's a displacement it's more though.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  12. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Displacements are easy. As long as the base brush is flat, the displacement can be as wrinkly as you feel like.

13. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Just cut it in two along the corners by using the clipping tool in the top view.

14. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Triangles can't be nonplanar. So correctly cutting a quad will fix the nonplanar problem.