Model Brush to Prop Conversion Request

Exelaratore

L2: Junior Member
Mar 18, 2013
So apparently my Hammer is still sort of broken and still has the shadow of the unsolvable error I experienced many years ago. I can run Hammer (almost) perfectly fine, I just have to open it through a shortcut. Ever since the error happened, I have never been able to open this menu:

Source_SDK_2006_Half-Life_2-_Deathmatch.png

I can only choose from the game I want to work in then get right into hammer from the shortcut I'm using. Because of this, It seems like it is impossible for me to use Propper when I'm lacking the menu above and many other essential functions of Hammer I'll need to properly install Propper.

So I'm pretty much unable to use/learn Propper myself. *sadface* I thought that I could possibly get some help here. If anyone would like to convert a crane (yes that crane) to a prop for me, I would be more than willing to provide a payment in return. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you!!

Here's the crane if you haven't seen it already:
ESr5yOs.jpg

I know it kinda already looks like a model but those are all brushes.(Minus the hook, wires, and platform)

Exelaratore

L2: Junior Member
Mar 18, 2013
So after a few adjustments to my crane, I used this VMF to SMD tool and converted it. However, I'm really confused as of what I should do next. On some forums online, people are saying I need to convert SMD to MDL? Also I have no clue where my SMD converted file would have been saved? (presuming that's how it works)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
yeah SMD is some weird intermediary file. You'll need to compile it into the model format that source uses.
My process is manual, some like to use GUI stuff

I have a batch file with this inside:
"C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/bin/studiomdl" "%1"
pause

Then you need a qc file for your model, that's a bit like a vmt. Just a text file that defines some basics about your model
$modelname "props_examples\example_01.mdl" // Where the final model will be (make this folder first!)
$body mybody "example_01.smd" // the name of your SMD

$staticprop

$surfaceprop metal
$cdmaterials "models\props_examples" // put your materials in here

$sequence idle "example_01.smd" loop fps 15 // for some dumb reason even static props need a 'sequence'

$collisionmodel "example_phys_01.smd" // either use the same SMD for your crane, or use a simpler version to serve as the collision mesh

Just pop both the qc and the batch file wherever your smd is and drag the qc onto the batch file and voila! One source model.
For you, you'd need to go and make VertexLitGeneric versions of the materials you used and put them in models\props_examples\ if you need help with that just ask

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Loading up a program takes longer than drag+drop.
Editing an existing qc file in notepad is faster than navigating a GUI.

Crowbar offers nothing to my process except extra time, extra hassle and extra places for stuff to go wrong.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
Crowbar offers a few compile options that don't have to do with the qc. In fact it cant do anything to a qc so I'm not sure why you mention it.
While it compiles, it tells you if there are any errors in the qc.
It has fast access to the model viewer. You press one button and instantly see if the model came out right.

And the last thing I wanna mention: You can just drag+drop a qc on it. So you just gotta setup the options once (takes like a minute) and from that point it's about as fast as your method.