Brush entities turn back into normal brushes after being deselected

goatcheese3

L1: Registered
Dec 30, 2012
I have been having a big problem lately.
Whenever I create a brush entity (func_door, func_detail, etc.), it immediately turns back into a normal brush after I deselect it (as stated in the thread title).
The brush entites worked fine until about an hour ago, when they all reverted themselves to brushes for some reason.

EDIT: Thanks for the help! I should have closed the map before posting for help here. Hopefully my common sense won't fail me next time!

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I've had the same issue before, I fixed it by closing the map and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, restart Hammer.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Check if you have ignore groups on, it will do this. Technically, it is the brush selection buttons that default to being docked in the right sidebar, but eh.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Did you perhaps have Solids selected in the top right corner? This would do what you described.

For the uninformed:

Groups selects anything grouped together, whether tied by entity or grouping them manually.

Object selects only the object/ entity you click on. So say you have a bunch of separate func_details grouped together manually, this can be used to select only one of them.

Solids ignores all grouping and entity groups and selects only the brush/ entity you click on. So say you have a structure tied to one big func_detail, this can be used to pick a single brush out of that. When you go back to Groups or Objects, the entity will still be there.