Brush entities reverting to brushes?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Spammish, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Spammish

Spammish L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is a problem I've been having quite frequently on my first map, I am new and am probably making an obvious error here but it's annoying as hell to not be able to edit func's and stuff. For example, I've set up a respawn area and whenever I right click<properties it comes up with the visgroup tab and if I try ctrl+t (I know that's tie to entity) it comes up as a func_detail, although I can't speak for all the brush entities with this problem the respawn room still functions fine when I compile and run the map.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure you have 'groups' selected on the right-side of the screen under 'Select:'.

3. Spammish

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, although it wasn't selected when I just started up hammer I may have accidentally selected it before and the problem seems to have gone, at least for now. Rather than opening up a new thread, I was wondering what the easiest way to set up a spawn system like in badlands, granary and other 5cp maps where spawn position changes depending on point captured, I currently have spawn entities set up in my secondary spawn with associated control point set to middle but during testing, I would always spawn in my first spawn.

4. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    The easiest way would be to grab a vmf of a 5cp-map here and just copy everything ;)

5. Spammish

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for all the help guys. :thumbup:

6. Bockagon

Bockagon L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or you could use Boojum's Resource Pack. Even if you don't use it for setting up your game entities you should definitely install it.

7. Swiftmind

Swiftmind L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This has happened to me too but with any brush entity, it may be a bug within Hammer. Once and a while all my brush entities will appear as solids when selected (info bar at the bottom reports solid brush of 6 sides) and all groups will no longer register and I can only select individual brushes at a time. I am not sure what causes it.

Easy fix, restart hammer. Everything is fine when I restart hammer. So before you go messing around with your entities, look to see if other brush entities appear as solids. If so just restart Hammer. If restart does not work, fully exit steam and hammer, restart hammer.

8. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It's caused by the 3 buttons on the right-hand side.

[​IMG]

Groups will select grouped objects and brush entities, Objects will select objects individually even if they are a part of a group, and Solids will select objects individually as normal brushes causing you to be unable to view a brushes entity information.

You can quickly switch between 'Groups' and 'Solids' by hitting Ctrl + W.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Swiftmind

Swiftmind L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ah there we go. I must hit w once and a while mistakenly.

10. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Also check that :ig: is not on when trying to edit brush-entity properties.

11. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Ignore groups and the Solids button are actually one in the same. Turning on one will turn on the other.