Brush Edge Issues

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by jared5, May 1, 2014.

1. jared5

jared5 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm relatively new to 'serious' mapping, I've had the SDK for about a year but haven't done much with it.
    While trying some stuff out with bots, I noticed white dots around the edges of brushes in a few places. In hammer they do align perfectly, so I'm really not sure what's causing it.
    [​IMG]
    Using a GTX 660m if that helps at all, if anyone needs more specs just say so.

Thanks alot in advance!

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Are they displacements? If so then sew them. Otherwise, give up.

3. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Try remaking the offending brushes. I can't really think of anything else, apart from trying to combine them in different ways. Looks like a VBSP derp.

4. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do the brushes un-align when you save and reload your vmf?

5. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like I heard of this happening sometimes when you have really large brushes, like a floor covering a large area. If what Aly says doesn't work, you could also try cutting the brush into two pieces right where that "seam" is.

6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Floating point inaccuracies can cause problems when going from vertexes to planes and back. I once had a brush that became invalid at compile/save time due to this.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I almost want to suggest opening the VMF in Notepad and searching for the brush number to see if any of the coordinates aren't whole numbers but that sounds insane. Plus I don't actually know if it's possible to find the ID of a specific brush.

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    The vmf does contain the brush number. The problem is that the vmf doesn't store vertex positions, it stores plane definitions.