Bringing attention to your map

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
Hello guys, quick post-release question for you.

How does one get attention to your map in general? Although I kind of have a problem with it (and this thread is an attention getter tbh), I want to know how people who have made popular/semi-popular maps have gotten their map into the general public or just well-known on even one/two servers. One of my friends recommended that I go to forums for popular servers and just make a thread on it there, but that sort of sounds kind of douchy, what do you guys think?

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Your friend isn't lying, that does help.

Posting on FPSB used to help, but I don't see the impact nowadays.

Get your map known by having it be really good in gameplay and good view screens and you'll get servers playing your map. Word of mouth is the best way easily though.

OR a bump by valve.

strangemodule

Sep 10, 2009
Alright, I decided I'm going to post it as many places as possible. Do you guys have any good suggestions where they won't just say "looks like crap, GTFO!" without testing it?

I've already put my map on FPSB, here, and Steam Forums.

Kronixx

Apr 17, 2009
imo, make a good map and get some good playtests behind it with a few people that speak highly of it and popularity will take hold on its own in due time. But can't argue forum advertising as long as it doesn't draw negative attention by people seeing it as "spam".

/shrugs

Kraftwerk

L2: Junior Member
Jul 10, 2009
Hello guys, quick post-release question for you.

How does one get attention to your map in general? Although I kind of have a problem with it (and this thread is an attention getter tbh), I want to know how people who have made popular/semi-popular maps have gotten their map into the general public or just well-known on even one/two servers. One of my friends recommended that I go to forums for popular servers and just make a thread on it there, but that sort of sounds kind of douchy, what do you guys think?

There was a pretty big controversy about this on Ubercharged.net a while back, the end result was: Its not douchy if they have something good to show.
My personal stance: Tell us what your here for. Ask for beta testing, ask for attention, don't come in and go "LOOK AT MY SEXY MAP."/act like your part of the community.
/My 2 cents.

strangemodule

Sep 10, 2009
There was a pretty big controversy about this on Ubercharged.net a while back, the end result was: Its not douchy if they have something good to show.
My personal stance: Tell us what your here for. Ask for beta testing, ask for attention, don't come in and go "LOOK AT MY SEXY MAP."/act like your part of the community.
/My 2 cents.

Well, that's what I tried at UC, I hope I didn't come off bad. :blushing: